Finding x and y values of points in a histogram

Hi All,

I have a 2D histogram that I filled with 2 variables: mass, event.
I would like to get the x-value and y-value of the points I got (meaning the mass vs event I filled).

Looking at the C file of the histogram, I can see only the global bin number and the number of entries correspond to that bin.

I tried:
For instance, I took one global bin number 61029 and search for the x and y bins:
[]int x,y,z
[]h->GetBinXYZ(61029,x,y,z)
[]h->GetBin(x)
[]h->GetBin(y)
[]h->GetYaxis()->GetBinLowEdge(3)
3.94666666666666628e+05
[]h->GetXaxis()->GetBinLowEdge(25)
6.42700000000000000e+07

But this gives me a close number, but not the exact number of the point I wanted :frowning:

Your help would be most appreciated
Thanks in advance
R

By filling a histogram you lose the information about exactly where the point is, and instead store the number of counts in each bin. This may lead to a great reduction in the space needed to represent such information. Perhaps you would instead like to use a TTree or a TGraph2D, which maintain the point to point information.

Hi,

Thanks for the advise.

I have two questions regarding your suggestion, and I apologize in advance if they are stupid:

1. For the TGraph2D - if it is a 2D graph, I saw that it goes like this:
    TGraph2D *g = new TGraph2D(n, x, y, z);
    g->SetPoint(i, x, y, z);
    what do I put in the z if I don’t need it?
    and i - I guess it is the point number…

2. About the TTree - can you please elaborate?

Thanks again

It is a little difficult to suggest which would work better for you as your goal is not completely clear. I suggest you take a look at the User’s Guide http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/users-guide. It contains lots of useful information and examples that may lead you in the direction your interested. Specifically you should look at the chapters covering Histograms, Graphs, and Trees. I attempt to answer your questions below.

1. In the TGraph2D constructor i is the point number and z is the third dimension of the point. Don’t forget that a 1D histogram contains two dimensions of data, the 1 variable axis and the bin content. While a 2D histogram contains two dimensional data points and the bin content. Perhaps all you need is a TGraph. Again, its not clear what your goal is.

2. A TTree is often compared to a sort of database. It is similar to storing your data in a text file where each row is an entry and you had multiple columns referring to various parameter. That is a gross under description, TTrees are cpapble of then dumping the data into various histograms (1D,2D…) and you may make selections of the data, for example column 1 > 4, using TCut.

Hi,

Apologizes for the late reply, I wanted to try your suggestion before answering.

I have these root files, for different run periods, and I suspect I have somewhere duplication. So basically I am trying to learn about specific events.

One of the tests I was trying to do, is to get these event numbers and check the different properties, like mass, p etc…
The thing is, I couldn’t locate the exact event numbers from the histogram. When I used the EventStatusBar, I saw the x and y values - but not the exact ones, because I couldn’t set the mouse exactly on the relevant point in the histogram.

I tried you suggestion. I used the tree of my files and created a TChain. Then I did the following:
I took the tree and draw what I needed :
int n = tree->Draw(“Event:mass”,"<>, “goff”")
Graph *g = new TGraph(n,tree->GetV1(),tree->GetV2())
g->Draw(“ap”)
and saved the graph as a .C file

BTW - I didn’t know what is goff and ap - i saw it in the forum :blush:
But when I opened the .C file, again I didn’t see the x and y value as they appear on the graph with the event status bar… in fact they where in a different scale, and where similar to what I got when I filled a histogram :confused:

If you have any further ideas - they will be more than welcome… I am kind of knew in all the root business… sorry.

Thanks again for the help :smiley:

You should see these values in the .C file generated.
All the SetPoint() calls should contain all your data.
Can you post here the .C file you get ?

Hi again,
I am so embarrassed - you were right.
I accidentally run two root scripts with the same path and same graph name to save, so one ran over the other. This is why I got different numbers than I expected.

Thank you very much for your help.
Apologizes :blush: