Finding mother particle in root/pythia

Dear Root users,

I am trying to run an adjusted version of the pythia8.C macro (from the root tutorials) in which I want to select all pions of which the mother particle is a lambda c baryon. I have been trying to use the ‘GetFirstMother’ command, but then I realized I don’t know what kind of information this command delivers. In the description of the command it says it returns the ‘mother particle indices’, but I don’t know what that means. Is there anyone out here who can explain to me how I can select particles based on of which particles they are the decay products?

Best regards,

Loek

1 Like

May be the author of this example, @Andreas_Morsch, can help.

Hi Loek,
GetFirstMother() gives you the index of the mother in the particle stack.
Use
TParticle* part = (TParticle*) particles->At(indexMother);
to retrieve the corresponding TParticle.
Best regards
Andreas

1 Like

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for your reply! I think I will be able to work it out now.

Best regards,

Loek

Dear Andreas,

I have one more question. The part of the code that concerns the selection of pions with lambda_c as mother particle I have edited is the following:

for (Int_t iev = 0; iev < nev; iev++) {
      pythia8->GenerateEvent();
      if (iev < ndeb) pythia8->EventListing();
      pythia8->ImportParticles(particles,"All");
      Int_t np = particles->GetEntriesFast();
// Particle loop
         for (Int_t ip = 0; ip < np; ip++) {
         TParticle* part = (TParticle*) particles->At(ip);
         Int_t pdg = part->GetPdgCode();
         Float_t pt  = part->Pt();
	 Int_t motherindex = part->GetFirstMother();
	 TParticle* mopart = (TParticle*) particles->At(motherindex);

if (((pdg == 211) || (pdg == -211) ) && (pt >= 0)) ptPionH->Fill(pt, 1./(2. * pt))
	 if (mopart == 0) continue;
	 Int_t mopdg = mopart->GetPdgCode();
	 if (((pdg == 211) || (pdg == -211) ) && (pt >= 0) && (mopdg == 4122)) ptPionlH->Fill(pt, 1./(2. * pt));

(above, ptPionH and ptPionlH are histograms I have defined in the code)

Now it seems that the code does what I want it to do. It returns the transverse momentum distribution of all pions and it returns the momentum distribution of pions originating from lambda_c baryons. The only problem is that it gives me the following error for a huge amount of particles:

Error in TClonesArray::At: index -1 out of bounds (size: 4000, this: 0x555e943a50c0)

Could you tell me how it is possible that a particle has index -1 and maybe how to prevent this error?

Best regards,

Loek

1 Like

I assume “-1” means that this is a “primary particle” (so it has no “mother”). Try:

TParticle *part = (TParticle*) particles->At(ip);
if ((!part) || part->IsPrimary()) continue; // skip primary particles
2 Likes

Thanks a lot for helping me out! This was indeed the case.

@LoekMeijers would you mind me moving this thread to the regular ROOT section? I’d like to preserve the content.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.