Feature Request: Non-intrusive canvas drawing/update

Sorry for spamming your forum with posts over the last few days, however I thought I should post this before I forget about it.

It would be really useful to be able to set a flag in a TCanvas object to enable silent/stealth/non-intrusive graphics drawing/update.

Consider this example situation: You have some analysis code and every couple of minutes it produces some graphics output because it is running in a loop. Sometimes it is useful to keep the graphics output as a way of debugging things.

However in the current situation, this renders the users computer unusable, as each time the graphics canvas are updated, the windows are raised to the top of the UI focus stack.

For example, if you are trying to type a document, you are repeatedly interrupted by canvas windows updating and raising themselves.

AFAIK this feature does not exist in ROOT, or if it does it is not explained in the documentation.

Best regards

It seems to me that this is a feature of the “Window Manager” of your operating system (search its “Focus” related options for some “Automatically raise / give focus to …” options).

I quite agree with @Wile_E_Coyote, I do not see such feature.

You can use --batch option to disable all the graphical display. All the figures will be drawn and saved to files silently.

It is possible to do that, however then I don’t get to see any figures at all - you could suggest saving them to png and keeping image editor windows open. I suppose that is a possible solution, but it has the disadvantage that if your file names change for any reason, you won’t see a window opened with the output.

I thought for some reason root must be calling a raise function on the WM - but I might be wrong about that assumption.

If you don’t delete and then create new canvas(i.e. just update the histogram inside), I believe it won’t raise the window.

Yes, that could work - thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.