Error when compiling ROOT on Fedora 30

Hi,

I’m trying to compile ROOT on Fedora 30.
I couldn’t find a precompiled binary for this version, and the one available for Fedora 29 produces an error when I give “root” on a terminal:

ERROR in cling::CIFactory::createCI(): cannot extract standard library include paths!
Invoking:
  LC_ALL=C ccache  -O3 -DNDEBUG -xc++ -E -v /dev/null 2>&1 >/dev/null | awk '/^#include </,/^End of search/{if (!/^#include </ && !/^End of search/){ print }}' | GREP_OPTIONS= grep -E "(c|g)\+\+"
Results was:
With exit code 256

SO…

I downloaded the sources for the latest Pro release of ROOT (ver 6.16.00).
I extracted the archive and “cd” to the extracted folder, then I gave:
mkdir obj; cd obj; cmake ..; make

After a while (well… After a few hours, indeed), I got this error:

[ 88%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libASImage.so
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libtiff.so: error adding symbols: file in wrong format
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [graf2d/asimage/CMakeFiles/ASImage.dir/build.make:151: lib/libASImage.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:24874: graf2d/asimage/CMakeFiles/ASImage.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2

Can you please help me? :frowning:
Which of the two errors is the easiest to fix and how?

_ROOT Version: 6.16.00
_Platform: Fedora 30

May be @amadio can help with this.

I am on holidays until the end of next month, with limited availability. The error above is probably due to a clash between libtiff in AfterImage and the one from the system. If you are on Fedora, please just use dnf install root and for extras dnf install root-* python{2,3}-root. You will get ROOT 6.16/00 that way and won’t have to compile it yourself. Cheers,

1 Like

o.o
That command is installing 4.1GB of stuff!

Edit:
It works now! :slight_smile:
Still… I think I’ll download some precompiled binary next time, and pray for it to work.

You can install just the base package and install only the extra packages you need if you are concerned about space.

1 Like

if you are concerned about space

Not really. I was surprised, for sure.
I think I do not use extra packages. I didn’t till a few days ago on Ubuntu, where I used to get the precompiled binary.

The command you gave me is just fine. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.