Error in installing any of the 5.34 version of ROOT in Fedora 28

Dear ROOTers

I am trying to install Cern ROOT V-5.34.xx in Fedora 28, but could not get any success. In most of the cases gives error messages as:

g++ -O2 -pipe -m64 -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude -DG__REGEXP -DG__UNIX -DG__SHAREDLIB -DG__OSFDLL -DG__ROOT -DG__REDIRECTIO -DG__STD_EXCEPTION -DG__64BIT -DG__HAVE_CONFIG -DG__NOMAKEINFO -DG__CINTBODY -I/home/shakeel/root/cint/cint/inc -I/home/shakeel/root/cint/cint/src -I/home/shakeel/root/cint/cint/src/dict -pthread -UR__HAVE_CONFIG -DROOTBUILD -I. -o cint/cint/src/loadfile_tmp.o -c cint/cint/src/loadfile_tmp.cxx
In file included from cint/cint/src/dict/libstrm.h:37,
from cint/cint/src/dict/libstrm.cxx:14:
cint/cint/lib/stream/iostrm.h:24:10: fatal error: iostream.h: No such file or directory
#include <iostream.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Makefile:632: cint/cint/src/dict/libstrm.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…

I have given details as given below.

ROOT Version: 5.34.xx
Platform: Fedora 28 Workstation
Compiler: Details of gcc -v command are given below:
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/8/lto-wrapper
OFFLOAD_TARGET_NAMES=nvptx-none
OFFLOAD_TARGET_DEFAULT=1
Target: x86_64-redhat-linux
Configured with: …/configure --enable-bootstrap --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,ada,go,lto --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --enable-multilib --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --with-gcc-major-version-only --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-plugin --enable-initfini-array --with-isl --enable-libmpx --enable-offload-targets=nvptx-none --without-cuda-driver --enable-gnu-indirect-function --enable-cet --with-tune=generic --with-arch_32=i686 --build=x86_64-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 8.2.1 20181215 (Red Hat 8.2.1-6) (GCC)

Please help me out of this problem.

Regards

Try the head of the v5-34-00-patches branch (you may need to add “--enable-gsl-shared --disable-fitsio” when configuring it) for ROOT 5 or the newest ROOT 6 release.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply on the issues I posted. I tried your suggestions and it really helped and ROOT was built without any error message in the last stage. Would you please elaborate the solution you suggested and can help me to understand what was the problem, since I am very poor on these levels of bugs and I am facing the issue of ROOT_v5.34.xx not installing in most of the updated versions of Linux (Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.).

Thanks again
&
Regards

I guess you need “xx >= 38” (for ROOT 5.34/xx).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.