Compiling root on Ubuntu18: complaining about iostream.h in iostrm.h

_ROOT Version: 5.34.36/
Platform: Ubuntu 18.04.2
Compiler: make

After

./configure --enable-builtin-freetype --enable-shared
make -j2

I get the following error:

cint/cint/lib/stream/iostrm.h:24:10: fatal error: iostream.h: No such file or directory
 #include <iostream.h>

In iostrm.h, I see the following:

#ifdef G__NEWSTDHEADER
#include <iostream>
#else
#include <iostream.h>
#endif

So, my question is: how I set G__NEWSTDHEADER? It is not mentioned in the configure file.
I naively tried “export G__NEWSTDHEADER=1” but that was not enough.

Cheers,

Machiel

Okay…, so you’re saying that the standard “5.34.36” does not work on Ubuntu 18?
The difference between “iostream.h” and “” (the normal C++ way) seems rather fundamental to me.
So, how do I install one of the patches that you mention? Do I install it on top of the 5.34.36 files that I already have downloaded? What is the exact command to do this? I am not familiar with git. Should I use the curl command you mention?
Also, the problem is, I use root as part of a GAMOS installation, so downloading ROOT 6 might give me problems when it’s not compatible with GAMOS.

Cheers,

Machiel

Also, I don’t understand. Just setting “G__NEWSTDHEADER” to 1 should be enough, right? (Although I tried it with export and that didn’t work)

Hi Machiel,

Why do you stillneed to use ROOT 5.34? v5.34 is ROOT from 2012; you should consider upgrading. It’s impossible for us to provide support for 7 year old releases (unless it’s critical for an experiment).

Axel.

Ok. In that case I will contact the people from GAMOS whose packages still uses ROOT 5.34. Maybe it will work with ROOT 6 as well (although I doubt it, to be honest). Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience

No inconvenience at all - and please tell the GAMOS folks that we’re more than happy to help them migrate! (You’re also welcome to put me in CC if that helps - axel@cern.ch )

Hi Alex,

I have one more question, if you don’t mind. Where should I get the latest stable version of ROOT from? From this webpage: https://root.cern.ch/downloading-root ? Or should I use GitHub or Curl or wget?

Cheers,

Machiel

Hi Machiel!

Indeed, https://root.cern/downloading-root is the canonical web page for releases! You can also check out a git tag, or even use the master (for which we check that it’s always working on all supported platforms).

Cheers, Axel.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.