ERROR:HistFactory: Error: Encountered Element in NormFactor with unknown name: Const

Dear folks,

I am trying to run histfactory on a xml file I created using the following command:

hist2workspace HZdZd4l_2019_driver.xml
but I’m getting these errors:

[#2] INFO:HistFactory -- hist2workspace is less verbose now. Use -v and -vv for more details.

INFO: Mode attribute is deprecated and no longer supported, will ignore
[#2] ERROR:HistFactory -- Error: Encountered Element in NormFactor with unknown name: Const
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RooStats::HistFactory::hf_exc'
  what():  HistFactory - Exception 
Aborted (core dumped)

I am running on lxplus with the following setup:

export PATH=/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/external/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
export ALRB_rootVersion=6.30.02-x86_64-centos7-gcc11-opt
lsetup root

I attached the inputs here:
40.0_mH106.0GeV.zip (3.5 KB)
Do you know what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Diallo.

Hi Diallo,

I add @jonas in the loop, who can perhaps help. In the meantime, can you confirm you see the same error with ROOT 6.30.04?

Cheers,
D

Hi Danilo,

Thanks for you reply.
Actually in lxplus, root 6.30.04 is not available. The latest is root 30.30.02.

Best,

Diallo.

Hello Diallo,

Thanks for checking. I double checked.
Lxplus, the main CERN login service, provides a native installation of ROOT 6.30.04, out of the box. Moreover, ROOT 6.30.04 is available on CVMFS, too: /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.30.04/

Cheers,
Danilo

Hi Danilo,

Is there a way to set root in lxplus which is in /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.30.04/ ?
The only way I know is the following:
lsetup “root 6.30.02-x86_64-centos7-gcc11-opt”
or
export ALRB_rootVersion=6.30.02-x86_64-centos7-gcc11-opt
lsetup root

Which won’t work for root 6.30.04.

Best,

Diallo.

Hi,

By default root 6.30.04 is installed on lxplus, as a distro package. Without sourcing anything.

If you still want to source something from cvmfs, the instructions can be found here.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
D

Hi Danilo,

If I connect on lxplus with: ssh -Y diboye@lxplus7.cern.ch, then I do setupATLAS, then I do root, I see root 6.24.08, instead of 6.30.04.
Am I missing something?

Best,

Diallo.

Hi Danilo,

I got root 6.30.04 locally, and I see the same issue.
So the problem seems to also present in root 6.30.04

Best,

Diallo.

Ok, let’s wrap up this thread and let’s go back to the original question with @jonas .
The ATLAS script is changing, as expected, the environment.

Cheers,
D

Let’s do that. Just to confirm on lxplus the default root is 6.30.04, but you need to log in with lxplus8.cern.ch instead of lxplus7.cern.ch. But let’s wait for @jonas

Hi @jonas and all, did you get a chance to look into this? For now, a workaround I am using is to switch to an older root version, and it works, but I guess it’s better to make it out for the current default root version in lxplus.
Thanks.

Best,

Diallo.

Hi @diboye,

thanks for reporting!

The Const attribute for the NormFactor was deprecated and ignored since a very long time. Therefore, I decided to explicitly remove this from the Config format, so that nobody accidentally still uses it and is then surprised it does nothing.

See:

So you should update your scripts that produce the XML in such a way that this Const tag is gone. You can safely do that, because it’s completely backwards compatible: the tag was ignored anyway.

Cheers,
Jonas

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.