Drawing shapes on a TGraph?

I’d like to plot the location of several objects, and circles centered on those objects with some given radius. Currently, I’m plotting the locations of the objects with a TGraph. How might I go about drawing the circles on a TGraph?

For example, I may have some object located at [4,9], so there will be a marker at [4,9] on the TGraph. I know the circle in question has a radius 7, so now I want to also draw a circle, with center at [4,9] , and radius 7, on the TGraph.

Of course, if this would be easier using something other than a TGraph, I’d be more than happy to use something else.

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: Not Provided
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi @KAM,
try to have a look to the TEllipse class.
Adding these two lines at your code should be enough.

TEllipse *circle = TEllipse(4.,9.,7.);
circle->Draw("same");

Stefano

Hi. Thanks! Yes, this works great.

As a follow up, is there some ROOT method to determine if ellipses intersect? For example, suppose I’ve drawn three ellipses, I want to print out the point at which they intersect (given that I know they do at some point)? Doesn’t seem to be anything like that in the ROOT docs, but maybe I should look harder. Is this possible?

Thanks again.

"same" is not needed

No, not out of the box.

Hi,
genuine ellipses are difficult,
for the special case of circles you find a solution here:

Otto

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.