Draw() running very slow

Hi
I recently insatlled root following the instructions very closly and installed using the location independant “./configure make”. I am using Ubuntu 12.10 64bit OS though it came originally with Windows 8 and I installed Ubuntu alongside Win8 as a second OS. Root seems to run fine though I do get this message when I start root:
“Couldn’t find font “-adobe-helvetica-medium-r---10-----*-iso8859-1”, trying “fixed”. Please fix your system so helvetica can be found, this font typically is in the rpm (or pkg equivalent) package XFree86-[75,100]dpi-fonts or fonts-xorg-[75,100]dpi.”.
I have seen past forum posts dealing with this issue but I have been unable to fix it, but that not the reason for this post. The real reason is when I use the Draw() command to draw a TF1 it draws it almost instantly, but for TF2 and TF3 it takes about 2 and 5 seconds respectivley. When I try to rotate the image sometimes the cursor needs to be still before the canvas will actually register that I’ve clicked and want to rotate and when it does register that I’m making a rotation it takes about 2(TF2) and 5(TF3) seconds again to redraw the image. At first I thought this was normal until a colleague noticed and showed me that on his Mac OS X it draws instantly and rotates instanly. I’m not entirly sure what is causing the problem and neither is my colleague and so if anyone has a any idea about what the issue is I would be very gracious as I need to graph out many hyperboloids for a research project.
-Andrew

Which ROOT version have you installed ?
On which platform is it slow ? Ubuntu or windows 8 ?

I have root version 5.34.05 and I’m using it with Ubuntu.

I do not see any reason why Ubuntu should be slower than Mac.
Do the two machines have similar performances (memory, CPU…) ?

Can it be that Mac uses an “accelerated” GL driver by default while Linux does not?

It could be but sessrumnir did not mentioned he was using GL. So I assume that’s X11 on both Mac and Ubuntu.

I just noticed something else, about every 20 seconds if I don’t redraw the canvas, by rotating or zooming, the canvas redraws itself. It looks the same as it did before the redraw but the canvas goes white for a second then the image reappears. My Ubuntu uses X11.

does the mac machine and the ubuntu one have the same kind of RAM and CPU power ?