Copy Canvas/Pad contents to clipboard

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to copy canvas/pad contents to clipboard, as image. This would be useful in many cases, for example quick exchange of temporary results via emails/chats. Now I am always struggling with saving the canvas to a file (selecting function, typing the name, etc.) and than opening the file in, for example, email client (again, often involving several steps), which takes a significant amount of time if several plots need to be shared.

The following is not a solution, but a workaround

To quick and dirty share plots via mail/chat I usually take a screenshot of the canvas/pad. Depending on your operating system/programs this image can be drag&drop or copy&paste into the mail/chat application.

This workaround also works if one runs root on a remote machine and would otherwise have to copy files from one computer to another.

1 Like

Yes, this way also crossed my mind. However, it is a half measure, especially for some apps with menus, toolbars, statusbars, etc.

There is no such functionality

Would you be willing to add it?

Try with the canvas you get here: https://root.cern.ch/doc/master/draw__th1_8cxx.html … I.e. yes, this is in the works!

Great to here that this is in works. I understnad that I would need to compile libROOTGpadv7 in some special way.

As a work around I thought that perhaps a saved image file can be copied easily to clipboard, but all the solutions that I find rely on external tools or libraries such as gtk or qt on linux.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.