Compiling Root v5.22 on 64-bit scientific linux 5.2 problems

hi…

Im trying to compile root v5.22 on my 64-bit linux machine running scientific linux 5.2.

Im searching the forum and web, but at the moment its not going so good, so ive turned to posting for help… :frowning:

Here is the failled output…

make
g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libGraf.so -m64 -O2 -o lib/libGraf.so graf2d/graf/src/TArc.o graf2d/graf/src/TArrow.o graf2d/graf/src/TAttImage.o graf2d/graf/src/TBox.o graf2d/graf/src/TCrown.o graf2d/graf/src/TCurlyArc.o graf2d/graf/src/TCurlyLine.o graf2d/graf/src/TCutG.o graf2d/graf/src/TDiamond.o graf2d/graf/src/TEllipse.o graf2d/graf/src/TFrame.o graf2d/graf/src/TGaxis.o graf2d/graf/src/TGraphPolar.o graf2d/graf/src/TGraphPolargram.o graf2d/graf/src/TGraphQQ.o graf2d/graf/src/TImage.o graf2d/graf/src/TLatex.o graf2d/graf/src/TLegend.o graf2d/graf/src/TLegendEntry.o graf2d/graf/src/TLine.o graf2d/graf/src/TLink.o graf2d/graf/src/TMarker.o graf2d/graf/src/TPave.o graf2d/graf/src/TPaveLabel.o graf2d/graf/src/TPaveStats.o graf2d/graf/src/TPavesText.o graf2d/graf/src/TPaveText.o graf2d/graf/src/TPie.o graf2d/graf/src/TPieSlice.o graf2d/graf/src/TPoints.o graf2d/graf/src/TPolyLine.o graf2d/graf/src/TText.o graf2d/graf/src/TTF.o graf2d/graf/src/TWbox.o graf2d/graf/src/G__Graf.o lib/libfreetype.a
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(ftinit.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(ftbase.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(ftglyph.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(truetype.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(type1.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(cff.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(type1cid.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(pfr.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(type42.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(winfnt.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(pcf.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(bdf.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(sfnt.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(autofit.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(pshinter.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(raster.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(smooth.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(ftgzip.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(ftlzw.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(psaux.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(psnames.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(ftsystem.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
/usr/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `lib/libfreetype.a(ftbitmap.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
lib/libfreetype.a(ftgzip.o): In function `ft_gzip_file_done':
ftgzip.c:(.text+0x1ac): undefined reference to `inflateEnd'
lib/libfreetype.a(ftgzip.o): In function `ft_gzip_file_fill_output':
ftgzip.c:(.text+0x326): undefined reference to `inflate'
lib/libfreetype.a(ftgzip.o): In function `ft_gzip_file_io':
ftgzip.c:(.text+0x3ba): undefined reference to `inflateReset'
lib/libfreetype.a(ftgzip.o): In function `FT_Stream_OpenGzip':
ftgzip.c:(.text+0x604): undefined reference to `inflateInit2_'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [lib/libGraf.so] Error 1

Now it seems to be the internal libs of ROOT. So naturally i disabled them, and recompiled those on my machine that wasn’t there into 64-bit form. it then produce a similar error! at the moment I get numerous errors, so I’ve posted just one hoping someone has got similar problems.

here is my compiler and linker and kernel… if that is any help!!! :frowning:
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)
linux-kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5
GNU ld version 2.17.50.0.6-6.el5 20061020

It seems that sl5/el5 stores multi-lib system. but im having trouble convincing configure script where everything is that I’ve compiled, and even when I get that right, it complains for example with fftw. I recompiled fftw with fPIC and that fixed that… :stuck_out_tongue: but not have luck with the internal libs of ROOT, like builtin-afterimage

Built included libAfterImage, or use system libAfterImage
builtin-ftgl Built included libFTGL, or use system libftgl
builtin-freetype Built included libfreetype, or use system libfreetype
builtin-pcre Built included libpcre, or use system libpcre
builtin-zlib Built included libz, or use system libz

This is bit of a rush post but if u need any more particulars… i’ll provide them, if I haven’t fixed the problem by then…

ta for the help!!! :stuck_out_tongue:
[/code]

Disabled all the builtin-libs… and recompiled… set fftw to correct lib = /usr/lib64…

When I do the standard root build on a 64bits machine I do not have any problem. Have you simply tried:

make distclean
./configure
make

That should work.

Hi,

Is this the same problem as reported here?

Thanks

You point on the same thread… Not that these days we use cmake.