Colors in ROOT

Hi,

I posted the same problem on the ML some monthes ago but it was unheeded.
With ROOT 4.04.02f the attached macro does not produce the wanted background
color while new versions of ROOT does.
It is not a critical bug (surely on my pc it does not work properly) but it is not
so comfortable to manually modify the colors in a later time to avoid a very slight
grey as beckground when printing.

Is it a problem faced only by me?
macro.C (368 Bytes)

So why don’t you use a newer version of ROOT in that case ?
Anyway, the following page may help you:
couet.home.cern.ch/couet/root/ht15.html

The solution to a bug is not to change to a newer version. I pointed out
this issue even when the 4.04.02 version was the production version and the version 5 was the development one as you know both from the ML and our private
discussion.

[quote=“couet”]
Anyway, the following page may help you:
couet.home.cern.ch/couet/root/ht15.html[/quote]
This does not solve the problem. In attachment your macro has been modified
to produce a gif file. As you can see the background color code is F0F0F0: nearly
white but not white.

Cheers, Germano
couet.cxx (402 Bytes)

Yes you are right, to have real white it is better to do what you are doing in the macro “macro.C”. When I look (using “xv”) at the gif produced by this macro the white background is really white (xv gives me 255 255 255). So this macro with the last ROOT version is fine.

“couet.cxx” is good for PS files to avoid to draw the background. I pointed you this example hoping it may help you with the ROOT version you are using.

What do you expect from me ? patching the version you are using ?
I am afraid I cannot fix a bug which has disapeared in the latest ROOT version.

Let me know.

[quote=“couet”]Yes you are right, to have real white it is better to do what you are doing in the macro “macro.C”. When I look at the gif producing by this macro using “xv” the white background is really white (xv gives me 255 255 255). So this macro with the last ROOT version is fine.

“couet.cxx” is good for PS files to avoid to draw the background. I pointed you this example hoping it may help you with the ROOT version you are using.

What do you expect from me ? patching the version you are using ?
I am afraid I cannot fix a bug which has disapeared in the latest ROOT version.

Let me know.[/quote]

Don’t worry, I don’t expect anything from anyone. Maybe it could have been interesting for others using my same version.
But if you remember in November this point was closed saying that the files I showed was white and I was wrong on this issue. I’m happy to know that now this is called “bug” and that the latest ROOT version is not affected by it.
It would be great if this was corrected also for ealier versions but I know that this is a great and unuseful effort.
Tnx anyway for your reply. I’ll try to force people using my program to run it on newer ROOT versions.
I don’t think to be skill enough to patch it by myself :wink:

Cheers, Germano