Chebychev's normalization in RooFit

Hello RoFitters,

I’m trying to fit the distribution in the attachment in the left and right sidebands together and integrate the resulting function in a small range in the middle of the blinded area (i.e. the signal region…).

The fit function is RooChebychev with 3 parameters.
After fitting successfully the sidebands and plotting everything, I’m calculating the integral in the signal region with createIntegral() but am getting a too high result which I can easily spot if visualising the area below the signal region as you can see in the attached snapshot below.

I guess this is a matter of the normalization of the pdf but I’m clueless on how to work around this.

The brief version of the fit and integral code is

[code]RooRealVar* m3body = new RooRealVar(“m3body”,"m_{3body} [MeV]”,1400,2400);
RooAbsData* UnbinnedDataSet_m3body = new RooDataSet(“data_m3body”,“data_m3body”,RooArgSet(*m3body));

// fill here the dataset with 569 candidates from a tree

m3body->setBins(50); // bin width is 20 MeV
m3body->setRange("range_m3body”, 1400,2400); // full range
m3body->setRange("range_SBleft”, 1400,1660); // left sideband
m3body->setRange(“range_SBright”, 1900,2400); // right sideband

// define the pdf
RooRealVar* a0 = new RooRealVar(“a0”,“a0”, -1.42803e-01, -1.0, 1.0);
RooRealVar* a1 = new RooRealVar(“a1”,“a1”, 2.87161e-02, -1.0, 1.0);
RooRealVar* a2 = new RooRealVar(“a2”,“a2”, -1.45196e-03, -1.0, 1.0);
RooChebychev* bkgm3bodypdf = new RooChebychev(“bkgm3bodypdf”,“bkgm3bodypdf”,*m3body,RooArgSet(*a0,*a1,*a2));

// fit in both sidebands simultaneously
RooFitResult* fitresult_m3body = bkgm3bodypdf->fitTo( *UnbinnedDataSet_m3body,Minos(kTRUE),Range(“range_SBleft,range_SBright”),NormRange(“range_SBleft,range_SBright”),Strategy(2),Save(kTRUE),Timer(kTRUE),NumCPU(2));

// integrate in the signal region (in the heart of the blinded range between the sidebands)
m3body->setRange(“range_m3body_SR”,1718,1838);
RooAbsReal* integralSR0 = bkgm3bodypdf->createIntegral(m3body,Range(“range_m3body_SR”));
RooAbsReal
integralSB0left = bkgm3bodypdf->createIntegral(m3body,Range(“range_SBleft”));
RooAbsReal
integralSB0right = bkgm3bodypdf->createIntegral(*m3body,Range(“range_SBright”));
float nSB0 = integralSB0left->getVal()+integralSB0right->getVal();
float nSR0 = integralSR0->getVal();
cout << “Events in the side bands=" << nSB0 << endl;
cout << “Events in the signal region=" << nSR0 << endl;[/code]

The numbers I get from the integrals are:
Events in the side bands=710.825 —> should be 569 or very close to it
Events in the signal region =160.302 —> should be around 127 doing the integration "by eye” (see snapshot)
This is basically what I do not understand.

If I do the same with the default TH1F::Fit method in pure ROOT then I get the desirable results (although fitting with Chebychev in ranges is not straightforward), i.e. the integral of the fitted function in the sidebands gives exactly the number of candidates in the sidebands and the integral in the signal region gives the same result that one can extract "by eye”.

Any help is appreciated!
Noam

Hi,

Which ROOT version are you using ? A bug fix in the RooChebyshev class for fitting in sperate rages has been applied in versions >= 5.34.22

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,
Here’s the version I’m using:
Version 5.34/22 10 October 2014
ROOT 5.34/22 (heads/v5-34-00-patches@v5-34-21-104-gf821c17, Oct 20 2014, 08:37:00 on macosx64)
CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.18.00, July 2, 2010
Should be OK, no ?
Noam

Hi,

Yes the version should be fine. I will then investigate the problem with creatIntegral()

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for looking into this - would be very useful !
Please let me know when you’re done or if there’s additional info needed.

Cheers,
Noam

Hi,

Can you please attach your simplest working macro, including the data set which showing this problem.
You could create a RooWorkspace, import there the pdf and the RooDataSet object, write the workspace in a file and then attach to the post or, in case the file size is too big, send a link to it

Best Regards

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

I’m attaching a standalone example with “pdf->generate” so no need for an external file.
All the ranges I use are defined in the top of the macro as global variables.
It generates 10k events in the full range but I only fit the sidebands and integrate in a small range within the blinded range (between the sidebands).
This is slightly different than the “real” use case where I truly blind the events in the “blinded region” - here I didn’t bother to have events generated only in the sidebands but I don’t think it matters a lot for the issue.

In this specific case, integrating the pdf in the signal region with createIntegral(…) gives: nSR0=120.083 but I’m not sure what this number is corresponding to.

Maybe there’s no problem and I’m getting this all wrong - should this number be scaled according to the ratio between the number of events in the entire dataset and the integral over the full “x” range (or just the events in the sidebands over the integral of the sidebands in case the data is really blinded) ?
If I do that then I get something closer to the result i can integrate “by eye” or in a simple ROOT fit.

Is this the intended functionality ?
Is there a way to get the integral of “what you see” in the histogram ?

Thanks!
Noam
testChebychev.C (3.26 KB)