Change in OptimizeTuningParameters

I wanted to change OptimizeTuningParameters.I tried to change with Runtime Polymorphism. I created a new class inheriting from TMVA::MethodBDT and redefined the OptimizeTuningParameters function. I got *** Break *** segmentation violation error.

TMVA::Factory factory{"<name of factory>", "AnalysisType=Classification" };
  TMVA::DataLoader dataloader{"dataset"};

// Set up dataloader ...

TMVA::MethodBase* method = factory->BookMethod(&dataloader,   TMVA::Types::kBDT,"BDT","BoostType=AdaBoost");

MethodBDT_derived_class* Mymethod = new   MethodBDT_derived_class("TMVA","BDT",dataloader.GetDataSetInfo(),"BoostType=AdaBoost");

method = Mymethod;
   method->OptimizeTuningParameters();

Please help me how to fix this.

Where to you get this break ? in your new version of OptimizeTuningParameters ?

yes I got this break in my new version of OptimizeTuningParameters even when I did not make any changes in content of primary OptimizeTuningParameters function

That’s TMVA so @moneta may know, But can you post the trace back you get ? it might help to understand where this break comes from.

I used TMVA from ROOT 6.14/02 and got *** Break *** segmentation violation error. when I use ROOT 6.22/06 I get this error

<FATAL>                         : Dataset[dataset] : MethodBase::BaseDir() -    MethodBaseDir() return a NULL pointer!
  ***> abort program execution
  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  FATAL error

Hi,

I think adding a new method class is not so trivial. Can you please post your code and I will investigate your issue

Thanks

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,
What I did :

#ifndef MYMethodBDT_derived_H_
        #define MYMethodBDT_derived_H_
class  MethodBDT_derived : public TMVA::MethodBDT {

public:
	MethodBDT_derived( const TString& jobName, const TString& methodTitle, TMVA::DataSetInfo& theData, const TString& theOption = ""):MethodBDT(jobName,methodTitle,theData, ""){}; 		
	std::map<TString,Double_t>  OptimizeTuningParameters(TString fomType, TString fitType) ;
};

std::map<TString,Double_t>  MethodBDT_derived::OptimizeTuningParameters(TString fomType, TString fitType)
{

// fill all the tuning parameters that should be optimized into a map:
   std::map<TString,TMVA::Interval*> tuneParameters;
   std::map<TString,Double_t> tunedParameters;

// note: the 3rd parameter in the interval is the "number of bins", NOT the stepsize !!
   //       the actual VALUES at (at least for the scan, guess also in GA) are always
   //       read from the middle of the bins. Hence.. the choice of Intervals e.g. for the
   //       MaxDepth, in order to make nice integer values!!!

// find some reasonable ranges for the optimisation of MinNodeEvents:

tuneParameters.insert(std::pair<TString,TMVA::Interval*>("NTrees",         new TMVA::Interval(50,1000,20))); //  stepsize 50
   tuneParameters.insert(std::pair<TString,TMVA::Interval*>("MaxDepth",       new TMVA::Interval(2,4,3)));    // stepsize 1
   tuneParameters.insert(std::pair<TString,TMVA::Interval*>("MinNodeSize",    new TMVA::LogInterval(1,30,30)));    //
   //tuneParameters.insert(std::pair<TString,TMVA::Interval*>("NodePurityLimit",new TMVA::Interval(.4,.6,3)));   // stepsize .1
   //tuneParameters.insert(std::pair<TString,TMVA::Interval*>("BaggedSampleFraction",new TMVA::Interval(.4,.9,6)));   // stepsize .1
	tuneParameters.insert(std::pair<TString,TMVA::Interval*>("AdaBoostBeta",   new TMVA::Interval(.2,1.,5))); 

Log()<<TMVA::kINFO << " the following BDT parameters will be tuned on the respective *grid*\n"<<TMVA::Endl;
   std::map<TString,TMVA::Interval*>::iterator it;
   for(it=tuneParameters.begin(); it!= tuneParameters.end(); ++it){
      Log() << TMVA::kWARNING << it->first << TMVA::Endl;
      std::ostringstream oss;
      (it->second)->Print(oss);
      Log()<<oss.str();
      Log()<<TMVA::Endl;
   }

TMVA::OptimizeConfigParameters optimize(this, tuneParameters, fomType, fitType);
   tunedParameters=optimize.optimize();

return tunedParameters;

}
#endif

void test()
{

TMVA::Factory *factory = new TMVA::Factory( "TMVAClassification", "AnalysisType=Classification" );

TFile *input_Signal_ACT(0);
	TString fname_Signal_ACT = "Signal_ACT.root";
	if(!gSystem->AccessPathName( fname_Signal_ACT ))
	{
		input_Signal_ACT = TFile::Open( fname_Signal_ACT ); 
	}
	if (!input_Signal_ACT)
	{
		std::cout << "ERROR: could not open Signal_ACT file" << std::endl;
		exit(1);
	}
	std::cout << "--- TMVA       : Using input file for signal: " << input_Signal_ACT->GetName() << std::endl;

TFile *input_Background(0);
	TString fname_Background = "Background.root";
	if(!gSystem->AccessPathName( fname_Background ))
	{
		input_Background = TFile::Open( fname_Background ); 
	}
	if (!input_Background)
	{
		std::cout << "ERROR: could not open Background file" << std::endl;
		exit(1);
	}

TTree *signalTree     = (TTree*)input_Signal_ACT->Get("SR1");

TTree *backgroundTree  = (TTree*)input_Background->Get("SR1");

TMVA::DataLoader dataloader{"dataset"};

dataloader.AddVariable( "GammaPt_SR1", "P_{T,#gamma}[GeV]", 'F' );
	dataloader.AddVariable( "EleCharge_SR1","e_{charge}", 'F' );
	dataloader.AddVariable( "TopMass_SR1", "m_{e #nu b}[GeV]", 'F' );
	dataloader.AddVariable( "Dr_e_photon_SR1", "#Delta R_{e,#gamma}", 'F' );
	dataloader.AddVariable( "DrTopG_SR1", "#Delta R_{top,#gamma}", 'F' );
	dataloader.AddVariable( "Dr_e_Bjet_SR1", "#Delta R_{e,b-jet}", 'F' );
	dataloader.AddVariable( "Met_SR1", "Met[GeV]", 'F' );
	dataloader.AddVariable( "EleEta_SR1", "#eta_{e}", 'F' );
	dataloader.AddVariable( "GammaEta_SR1", "#eta_{#gamma}", 'F' );

dataloader.SetBackgroundWeightExpression("Weight_SR1");
	dataloader.AddSignalTree( signalTree);

dataloader.AddBackgroundTree(backgroundTree);

TCut mycuts = ""; 
	TCut mycutb = ""; 

dataloader.PrepareTrainingAndTestTree( mycuts, mycutb,"nTrain_Signal=0:nTrain_Background=0:SplitMode=Random:NormMode=NumEvents:!V" );

TMVA::MethodBase* method = factory->BookMethod(&dataloader, TMVA::Types::kBDT,"BDT", "BoostType=AdaBoost"); 

MethodBDT_derived* Mymethod = new MethodBDT_derived("TMVA","BDT",dataloader.GetDataSetInfo(),"BoostType=AdaBoost");
	method = Mymethod;

method->OptimizeTuningParameters(/*"ROCIntegral","FitGA"*/);

}

Thanks,
Ali

HI,
Thank you for posting your code. I think the problem is caused because the method is create outside the Factory and this is not something supported in TMVA for the time being.
I will investigate and try to find a workaround for you. Probably you need to create your method as the other TMVA methods, using the Factory::BookMethod function, but you need to register it

Lorenzo

Hi,
After creating your Method class (MethodBDT_derived) you need to call this function to correctly initialize and setup the BDT with the correct options.

MethodBDT_derived* Mymethod = new MethodBDT_derived("TMVA","BDT",dataloader.GetDataSetInfo(),"BoostType=AdaBoost");
method = Mymethod;

// setup user BDT class 
method->SetAnalysisType(TMVA::Types::kClassification);
method->SetupMethod();
method->ParseOptions();
method->ProcessSetup();
// if using output file call SetFile otherwise call SetSilentFile(true) 
//method->SetFile(outputFile);
method->SetSilentFile(true);
method->CheckSetup();

After calling these functions, the code seems to work for me

Cheers
Lorenzo

it works.Thank You so much for your help.

Thanks for the update. It was very useful.