Can't change x-axis range and title size in ratio plot

Hi!
I am trying to do a ratio plot, but when I change set the title size or font on the lower pad, “pad_rat1”, the x-axis the title disappears. The code is below, do you know why this happens?
g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetTitleFont(42) #This makes the title disappear. If I comment it out it draws the title, but I can’t change the size or font.

Also (not as important), the setRangeUser(x1, x2) for the above pad and pad below gives different ranges. The one above gives exactly what I set it to while the one below adds a little bit to the range. Do you know why?

Thanks a lot!

#Parts of the code#

def graph4():
 c1 = r.TCanvas("c1","Graphs",700,700)

c1.cd()

p1 = r.TPad("p1","p1",0.,0.35,1.,1.)
 p1.Draw()
 p1.SetBottomMargin(0.001)
 p1.cd()
 #p1.SetGrid()                                                                                                                                                                                              
 p1.SetLogy()

c1.cd()
 p2 = r.TPad("p2","p2",0., 0.07, 1., 0.32)#xmin,ymin,xmax,ymax                                                                                                                                              
 p2.Draw()
 p2.SetTopMargin(0.001)
 p2.SetBottomMargin(0.3)
 #p2.SetGrid()                                                                                                                                                                                              
 p2.cd()

return c1, p2 , p1

def main (..):

g1_mg = r.TMultiGraph()

canv_rat1, pad_rat1, pad_roc = graph4()
    canv_rat1.cd()
    pad_roc.cd()
    for m in range(len(graph_vec)):
     graph_vec[m].SetLineColor(int(plotDict_TVA[tva_vec[m]].color))
     graph_vec[m].SetLineWidth(2)                                                                                                                                                         
     graph_vec[m].GetYaxis().SetTitleSize(0.5)
     g1_mg.Add(graph_vec[m])

g1_mg.GetXaxis().SetRangeUser(0.843,0.9845)
    g1_mg.GetYaxis().SetTitleSize(25);
    g1_mg.GetYaxis().SetTitleFont(43);
    g1_mg.GetYaxis().SetTitleOffset(1.4);
    g1_mg.GetYaxis().SetTitle("something")

g1_mg.Draw("L SAME")

## Ratio Pad
    g_rat_mg = r.TMultiGraph()
    g_rat_mg.Add(gr_ratio1)
    g_rat_mg.Add(gr_ratio2)

pad_rat1.cd()

#Ratio y-axis                                                                                                                                                                                           

g_rat_mg.GetYaxis().SetTitleFont(43)
    g_rat_mg.GetYaxis().SetTitleSize(18)
    g_rat_mg.GetYaxis().SetTitleOffset(1.8)
    g_rat_mg.GetYaxis().SetTitle("Ratio to 3 mm")
    g_rat_mg.GetYaxis().CenterTitle()
    g_rat_mg.GetYaxis().SetLabelFont(43)
    g_rat_mg.GetYaxis().SetLabelSize(15)
    g_rat_mg.GetYaxis().SetNdivisions(5)

#Ratio x-axis                                                                                                                                                                                           
    #This part does not work
    g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetTitleFont(42) #This makes the title disappear. If I comment it out it draws the title.                                                                                                                                                                  
    g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetTitleSize(10)                                                                                                                                                                   
    g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetTitleOffset(1.1)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetLabelFont(42)                                                                                                                                                                    
    g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetLabelSize(15)                                                                                                                                                                   
    g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetTitle("x-axis title") # If I only use this line and comment out the other it draws it. 
    g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetNdivisions(414)
    g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetRangeUser(0.85,0.98) #This does not work. It adds a bit to the range 
    g_rat_mg.GetXaxis().SetTickSize(0.01)

g_rat_mg.Draw("L SAME")

canv_rat1.SaveAs (args.output_dir + '/' + outputname + '.pdf')

How to you run your script ?
can you post something we can directlty run ?

Try increasing this margin so that there is enough space for the title (e.g. start with 0.1 and go from there).

Hi,

I solved it. The problem was that the x and y axis has different metric for the label size. 18 at the y-axis corresponded to 0.11 on the x-axis.

Thanks anyways!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.