Cannot unzip ROOT.qch.gz file (macOS)

Platform: macOS Ventura 13.0.1

The current .qch file posted to All Reference Guides - ROOT is having trouble being unzipped on my system so that I can use it for QT Creator. Running gunzip yields:

gunzip: ROOT.qch.gz: unexpected end of file
gunzip: ROOT.qch.gz: uncompress failed

I can access the files info with:

% gunzip -lv ROOT.qch.gz
method  crc     date  time    compressed uncompressed  ratio uncompressed_name
defla c5cf4994 Nov 14 14:44     48529408    354824094  86.3% ROOT.qch

Attempting to open the file with the default Archive Utility produced the error message
“Unable to expand “ROOT.qch.gz” into “Desktop”. (Error 1 - Operation not permitted.)”

I’ve checked that the downloads are completing fully so the file is not broken. Is there any other method to attempt to unzip this file?

I have no problem unzipping the file. Maybe @couet can give it a try on MacOS and see if there is anything wrong with it…

I have no problem downloading this file on a MacOS 13 machine. I just clicked on the link and the unzipping is done on the fly. Therefore I got the file ROOT.qch directly in my Download folder. I do not know what’s going wrong in your case. Maybe @ferhue can also try as he is the author of the QT Creator machinery. For me all is fine.
The only thing I can think of is a bad download.

I just tried downloading the file, and at some point the download stopped with the message “download failed, retry”.
So it seems the server gives problems sometimes. Not sure why.
Later I tried a second time and the download finished correctly.

It should have a size about 510Mb. So your file seems an incomplete download (485 Mb)
Here is mine (the second download):

gunzip -lv ROOT.qch.gz 
method  crc     date  time           compressed        uncompressed  ratio uncompressed_name
defla 5ff6b562 Nov 15 10:40           535357435           634912768  15.7% ROOT.qch
2 Likes

It seems I did not check well enough, that was the issue! For some reason firefox was labeling it a “complete download”. It took me a few tries until I got the complete download, but its working now. Thank you everyone!