Bug in TAxis labels for LogAxis

In case of log axis some labels are internally painted using PaintLatex whereas other using PaintTextNDC. These two methods aren’t completly equivalent even in case of no latex-specific symbols.
To be more specific, the numbers 10^n are painted using PaintLatex.
The numbers 1, 10, 100, 1000, 10000, … using PaintTextNDC (some of them occur only if SetNoExponent).
The numbers 2, 3, 4, …, 20, 30, … using PaintLatex (in case of SetMoreLogLabels).

As a result numbers painted by TLatex method (in attached examples) 2, 3, 4, 5 are above the labels painted by the TText method. It is about 3% shift with respect to the digit’s height.

I do not see any call to PaintTextNDC in the master version of ROOT:

$ grep -i PaintTextNDC graf2d/graf/src/TGaxis.cxx
$

Thanks,
I have root 6.08/06, where this is an issue.
I will update to version 6.09, where is really no PaintTextNDC to see whether the labels layout is there correct.

I am including the similar picture of the axis labels for logaritmic axis from the latest ROOT version 6.09.
The previous one was based on 6.08. It is clearly visible that number like “1” and “2” are on the same line - the bug was fixed from 6.09.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.