Break with segmentation error

Dear Developers,

I am running a script but it crashes and gives a segmentation error.
Please help me to resolve this issue.

Cheers,
Nab

jet1.cc (12.1 KB)

We cannot try your macro, the data file is missing :

Processing jet1.cc...
Error in <TFile::TFile>: file /eos/cms/store/user/aahmad/Jul12/MCs/1fab0e5/MC13TeV_DY50toInf_nlo/MergedMiniEvents_28.root does not exist
```

Can this be related?

Dear Wile,

These files exit at that path. They are at eos.

Dear Wile,

I have downloaded the related file from eos. You may use it.

/afs/cern.ch/user/n/nmajeed/public/MergedMiniEvents_6.root

Try to run your code using valgrind (and carefully study messages that appear in the beginning of the output):

valgrind --tool=memcheck --leak-check=full --suppressions=`root-config --etcdir`/valgrind-root.supp `root-config --bindir`/root.exe -l -q 'jet1.cc++g'

Hi,

What is the command for valgrind.

Simply copy / paste (into a terminal window) the full line that I gave you in my previous post.

This file is not in you public folder:

$ ls /afs/cern.ch/user/n/nmajeed/public/
fake_ratio.cc  lat_0MergedMiniEvents_0.root  May26_2.root  new_macro.cc  
ReadTree.cc  TOP-16-006.cc.txt  try1_data.cc

is it lat_0MergedMiniEvents_0.root ?

I have copied the same command but it gives me

[nmajeed@lxplus035 new_sirra]$ valgrind --tool=memcheck --leak-check=full --suppressions=root-config --etcdir/valgrind-root.supp root-config --bindir/root.exe -l -q ‘jet1.cc++g’
==13058== Memcheck, a memory error detector
==13058== Copyright © 2002-2012, and GNU GPL’d, by Julian Seward et al.
==13058== Using Valgrind-3.8.1 and LibVEX; rerun with -h for copyright info
==13058== Command: /usr/bin/root.exe -l -q jet1.cc++g
==13058==
==13058== FATAL: can’t open suppressions file “/usr/share/root/valgrind-root.supp”

sorry couet, I have moved it.
Please check it now.

I start looking at your code. I tried to make it more readable by indenting it properly and removing useless lines. I found out it is very very hard to read because of that lack of indention. I think there is even some logical mistakes because of that. It would be good if you can spend a bit of time cleaning it 
 Doing this exercise you may even find the mistake yourself

1 Like

Yes couet I am already trying to make it in a reasonable condition. Could you please specify some lines which are causing this error if possible.

No, not before you have properly indented it 
 the code you sent is completely wrong with that respect. I think you did some logical mistake because of that 
 I do not know where. My editor (which is able to match bracket) is lost 
 that’s a very bad sign. Once you’ll have cleaned and indented properly your code I am willing to look again at it if it still crash 
 but please do this clean up before !

Here is a properly indented version of your macro. It still crashes but it is more readable.
jet1.cc (9.8 KB)

After This clean up I see that that you do the following code at the end for the LOOP OVER EVENTS

TFile *ff = new TFile("dg6.root","RECREATE");
      Z_Inv_mass->Write();
      z_pt->Write();
      W_Tran_mass->Write();

ff->Close();

which means you will recreate the file dg6.root 1877399 times (nentries). is it what you really want to do ?

In your macro, If I comment the loop selected muons then it does not crash. So you should try to find the mistake in this code I think:

// selected muons
         for (int m=0; m<nMu;m++) {
            TLorentzVector tmp(0,0,0,0);
            bool passTightKin(Mu_pt[m]>=10 && fabs(Mu_eta[m])<2.5); // I made selected muons as a loose to make it equal to veto muons by changing cuts
            float relIso(Mu_relIso[m]);
            bool passIso(relIso<0.5);
            tmp.SetPtEtaPhiM(Mu_pt[m], Mu_eta[m], Mu_phi[m], Mu_mass[m]);
            if (passTightKin ) { //&& passSIP3d)
               if (passIso) {
                  selectedMuons.push_back(tmp);
                  mu_charge.push_back(Mu_charge[m]);
               }
            }
         }

No I donot want to create it nentries time. If I take it out of the loop, the problem still persists.

Try:
locate valgrind-root.supp
and if you get nothing (in principle, this file should be in the subdirectory returned by “root-config --etcdir”), you should talk to the one who installed your ROOT version.

Basically, I think your problem is that, in lines 289 to 293 of your original jet1.cc macro (from the first post here), you access mu_isTight, mu_ismuon, mu_iso and selectedMuons vectors, but you do not check that the indices m_i and m_ii are valid for these vectors. So you should prepend these lines with something like:

if ( (m_i < 0) || (m_ii < 0) ||
     (mu_isTight.size() <= (unsigned)m_i) || (mu_isTight.size() <= (unsigned)m_ii) ||
     (mu_ismuon.size() <= (unsigned)m_i) || (mu_ismuon.size() <= (unsigned)m_ii) ||
     (mu_iso.size() <= (unsigned)m_i) || (mu_iso.size() <= (unsigned)m_ii) ||
     (selectedMuons.size() <= (unsigned)m_i) || (selectedMuons.size() <= (unsigned)m_ii) )
  continue;
1 Like

Thank you Wile_E_Coyote. I was doing a mistake in cuts, indicated by you.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.