Blinding in Background modelling

Dear experts,

In my unbinned paramteric analysis, I create PDF’s to model background and fit those to data. I do this by generating various PDF’s like Bernstein polynomials, power law etc and fit them to the entire data i.e without blinding. Later while making a plot of the background fits I blind my signal region using Roofit cutrange.

My first question: Is this the right approach? Or should the data be blinded first and the fitting be performed on blinded data? I will eventually be using the Envelope method for background modeling.

Second question: On using Roofit cutrange

data_RooDataSet.plotOn(frame,RooFit.Binning(tpmass_high-tpmass_low),RooFit.CutRange("unblindreg_1"))
    data_RooDataSet.plotOn(frame,RooFit.Binning(tpmass_high-tpmass_low),RooFit.CutRange("unblindreg_2"))

to remove my signal region from the plot, the outputs I get look like this:
00 PM

with points at the bottom. Is there a way to avoid these points?

Thanks in advance,
Tanvi

Hi,

The first question is more an analysis and experiment specific question and you should ask to your colleagues in CMS.

For the second one, I done;t understand which points you would like to remove ? It is not clear to me looking at the picture

Lorenzo

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.