Wrong values from TGraph2D::Interpolate

I’m using TGraph2D::Interpolate on a 2D set of points defining my surface. I find a very strange behavior: when calling Interpolate with the coordinates of one point as arguments, the returned value is wrong. If I use inter-point coordinates the returned value seems correct.
To be more clear, I run this code (compiled with GCC):

TGraph2D graph;
  for (int iX = 0; iX < 20; iX++){
    for (int iY = 0; iY < 20; iY++){
      graph.SetPoint(graph.GetN(), iX, iY, iY);
    }
  }

std::cout << graph.Interpolate(1, 1) << std::endl;
  std::cout << graph.Interpolate(1.001, 1) << std::endl;
  std::cout << graph.Interpolate(0.999, 1) << std::endl;

I’d expect always 1 as output, but instead I get:

That is, when using the exact coordinates of one of the points defining the TGraph2D the interpolation returns a wrong result (which is pretty weird since there’s nothing to interpolate, actually). But if I move slightly away from the point then the interpolation returns the correct result. This seems to be somehow related to the number of points: for a 5x5 mesh defined as above one gets 1.004 instead of 1.019.
The documentation of TGraph2D states:

The 20x20 grid of my example seems to fit into this definition; anyway, at most I’d expect that the algorithm would fail when interpolating far away from the points, not when lying exactly on one of them…
I’m using Root 5.34.10. Thanks

Thanks for your report. I will check.

I fixed it in 5.34 and trunk. Thanks for reporting

Thank you for your prompt answer and fix!

Your Welcome. In principle that interpolate algorithm is meant to be used only internally by the graphics part of TGraph2D. To do a precise fit some other tool shout be used.

I suspected that it was something meant for internal use, but I find it handy to compute a reasonable interpolation when great accuracy is not a requirement.

Yes, in that case that’s fine.