Why root auto complete is so power than cling( which has nothing)?

Hi Cling folks,

I try to use run root from root docker, the auto complete part is so powerful! Which support:

1. When # include, list the possible file
  2. For object like vector a, a. will list the possible func

But for my self build root, 2 works, but 1 not

Even worse for my self build cling, none of 1 or 2 works but also crash!

What is the magic of cling wrapper by root? Root use cling too, right? How to enable 1 and 2 for cling?

Tks,
Cong

Hi Cong,

Cling’s tab completion is not the same as ROOT’s. We’ve never gotten around to moving all of ROOT’s completion features into cling, which is why currently ROOT’s is simply better. There is no inherent reason why it has to stay like this - it’s a question of investing the time. And I foresee that the ROOT team will not have that time anytime soon. That’s to say: we welcome contributions!

Cheers, Axel

1 Like

Hi Axel,

Tks for your reply, I got it now:slight_smile:

What I want to do is find the right way to integrate jupyter notebook with cling backend, the frontend part just need be power enough to render some model like gplot can do, but no need push back data.

Which jsroot and xeus-cling all seems too complex.

Can you give me some advice for start?

Background: I try to find a way to make cling+jupyter as productive tools in my organization!

Tks,
Cong

In principle there’s cling/tools/Jupyter - is that what you’re looking for?

Axel.

Hi Axel,

Tks for your advice, the pathway is clear now, the bottleneck maybe the cling part, how to make a better edit and run experience in notebook is the most challenge part, as render part has many choice and can done step by step.

C++ can be used as an interpreter is really magic:slight_smile:

Tks,
Cong

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.