What is the proper way to read a custom object from a TFile

Hi,

I created a custom class TICoolOut, created a dictionary and used the ClassDef and ClassImp macros as required. I then saved an object of TICoolOut type to a TFile. Using the interpreter in root, retrieving the file works file as per below:

gSystem.Load("/Users/Jon/Documents/Physics Research/BNL Research/Developer/Icool Tools/lib/libRoot Import.dylib")
TFile f("/Users/Jon/Desktop/BP_Cooling_Files_Work/icoolout.root"); TICoolOut *myti; f->GetObject(“TICoolOut;1”,myti)
int r=myti->get_particles_end()
std::cout<<r

HOWEVER, when I try to retrieve the object in compiled code, everything crashes:
Here is my code:

TICoolOut *icool_data=new TICoolOut(10000,input_path, true, root_output_file, “Final Cooling Channel”, for009_file, ecalc9_file);
TFile *f=new TFile("/Users/Jon/Desktop/BP_Cooling_Files_Work/icoolout.root");
f->GetListOfKeys()->Print(); //this line works and the keys are there
f->GetObject(“TICoolOut;1”,icool_data);

The error I am getting is BAD ACCESS CODE on the following ROOT line:

template inline void GetObject(const char* namecycle, T*& ptr) // See TDirectory::Get for information
{
ptr = (T*)GetObjectChecked(namecycle,TBuffer::GetClass(typeid(T)));
}

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

-Jon

Hi,

This seems unusual. Did you link against your dictionary? Are you sure there is no possibility that you are mixing two different ROOT version? If not, run with valgrind to get more information of the cause of the problem.

Cheers,
Philippe.