What is the best Linux OS for ROOT and G4?

Hi, I am a student of physics and a complete newby to ROOT and Geant4. As I am planning to prepare the best possible Linux environment, I was wondering if you have any advice before I start creating my ROOTing environment (best Linux OS, bootable usb or Virtual machine,…).
I am a windows 10 user btw.

Thank you in advance.

Hi @christopher_green,
and welcome to the ROOT forum!
Both ROOT and Geant4 run on any Linux flavour, so if it’s your first experience with Linux I would suggest something like Ubuntu 20.04 which has long-term-support, a large friendly community and out of the box does not have a look and feel that’s so different from Windows.

In the beginning you could also use the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), which is basically Ubuntu embedded within Windows, but in the long-term a proper Linux installation side-to-side with Windows, on a separate disk partition (what’s called a “dual boot” setup) might yield less headaches.

You can search the forum for instructions on how to setup ROOT on WSL, and the web for the rest, I should have provided the right keywords.

Good luck!
Enrico

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback @eguiraud.

Good Rooting!
Christopher.

Just to add to eguiraud’s recommendation, if you don’t like the out-of-the-box Ubuntu interface (try first the live USB version to see what you like before installing any), you can try one of its variants like Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. which may look a bit more familiar for Windows users while still being “Ubuntu”, which means for instance that the ROOT version precompiled for Ubuntu should run on all these without changes (at least I can confirm Xubuntu).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.