Web browser off not working

ROOT Version: 6.28.6
Platform: Linux 6.2.0
Compiler: Not Provided

Hi,

I am attempting to turn off the default web based browser in root. To do this, I followed the instructions on the root website of adding the command:

Browser.Name: TRootBrowser

to my .rootrc file. Even with this line, the web based browser opens unless I include the --web=off command when starting root. I’m not quite sure what I’m doing wrong, and any advice on how to turn off this web based browser would be much appreciated!

Hi,

Where you put your .rootrc file?
It should be either in current dir on in your home directory.
You also can try to add:

Canvas.Name: TRootCanvas

But this only required if you are using ROOT master branch.

Regards,
Sergey

Hi Sergey,

Thank you for the response! The .rootrc file is in my home directory. I tried adding the line

Canvas.Name: TRootCanvas 

to the .rootrc file, but am still being redirected to the web based browser. I appreciate any other advice you or anyone else might have. Thank you!

Can you start ROOT and check that is return value of gEnv->GetValue("Browser.Name", "").

When I try checking the value/name, it returns ROOT::Experimental::RWebBrowserImp instead of TRootBrowser. I’m not sure why this is the case.

That is name of your file? It must be .rootrc. And you have to put this file in current dir or in your home directory - check echo $HOME in your shell.

If you build ROOT yourself - you can modify $ROOTSYS/etc/system.rootrc file.
It is central place where ROOT settings are stored.

I apologize, the name of the file is .rootrc and I have it in home directory that is listed when I check echo $HOME in the terminal. When I start ROOT and give the command gEnv->GetValue("Browser.Name", "") it returns the value of ROOT::Experimental::RWebBrowserImp.

I did try moving the .rootrc file to the directory I will primarily be using root in, and the web based browser was successfully disabled. I’m not quite sure why this wasn’t happening with the rootrc file in the home directory, but this fix should work just fine. I appreciate all your help, thank you!

See docu: ROOT: TEnv Class Reference

Do you have by chance shell variable ROOTENV_NO_HOME variable defined?
And that gSystem->GetHomeDirectory() returns?

Ah yes, it seems the ROOTENV_NO_HOME variable was defined, although I don’t remember ever setting it. Now that I’ve unset the variable, the web browser is disabled. Thank you for the help, Sergey!!