Warning within TVirtualQConnection.h

Dear Root Team.

The C++ compiler on MAC produces the following warning when I compile and build my application…

Thanks – Claude

In file included from /Users/aa7526/opt/root_from_source_nov23_2022/root_install/include/TSystem.h:36:
In file included from /Users/aa7526/opt/root_from_source_nov23_2022/root_install/include/TTimer.h:45:
In file included from /Users/aa7526/opt/root_from_source_nov23_2022/root_install/include/TSysEvtHandler.h:25:
In file included from /Users/aa7526/opt/root_from_source_nov23_2022/root_install/include/TQObject.h:42:
/Users/aa7526/opt/root_from_source_nov23_2022/root_install/include/TVirtualQConnection.h:53:42: warning: 'sizeof (val)' will return the size of the pointer, not the array itself [-Wsizeof-pointer-div]
      constexpr size_t size = sizeof(val)/sizeof(val[0]);

_ROOT Version:_6.26/10
Platform: MAC OS 13.2.1
Compiler: clang and using cmake

You need a newer ROOT version.

OK…
Will get one then…

OK. First tried to update and rebuild. Failed with the below.
Delete all and restarted from scratch. same issue.

76%] Building CXX object core/rootcling_stage1/CMakeFiles/rootcling_stage1.dir/src/rootcling_stage1.cxx.o

[ 76%] **Linking CXX executable src/rootcling_stage1**

[ 76%] Building CXX object core/metacling/src/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/TClingTypedefInfo.cxx.o

[ 76%] Built target rootcling_stage1

[ 76%] Building CXX object core/metacling/src/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/TClingTypeInfo.cxx.o

[ 76%] **Generating G__Core.cxx, ../lib/Core.pcm**

[ 76%] Building CXX object core/metacling/src/CMakeFiles/MetaCling.dir/TClingValue.cxx.o

[ 76%] Built target MetaCling

While building module 'Core':

While building module 'ROOT_Foundation_Stage1_NoRTTI' imported from /Users/aa7526/opt/rootFromSourceApril10/root_build/include/Rtypes.h:195:

In file included from <module-includes>:4:

**/Users/aa7526/opt/rootFromSourceApril10/root_build/include/TClassEdit.h:29:10:** **fatal error:** **'cxxabi.h' file not found**

#include <cxxabi.h>

**^~~~~~~~~~**

In file included from input_line_3:2:

**/Users/aa7526/opt/rootFromSourceApril10/root_build/include/Rtypes.h:195:10:** **fatal error:** **could not build module 'ROOT_Foundation_Stage1_NoRTTI'**

#include "TIsAProxy.h"

**~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~**

Error: Error loading the default rootcling header files.

make[2]: *** [core/G__Core.cxx] Error 1

make[1]: *** [core/CMakeFiles/G__Core.dir/all] Error 2

Have you started with a completely empty “root_build” directory?

yes. Deleted the whole thing…
C

@cpruneau Try the head of the “v6-28-00-patches” or of the “master” branch.

@Axel Well, “‘cxxabi.h’ file not found” looks like:

@Wile_E_Coyote I followed your suggestion. Deleted the build and install. cloned the master and built it. It build fine. But I try to build my own libs on top then that fails with lots of errors. I wish APPLE would make fewer updates…

Maybe the (head of the) “v6-28-00-patches ” branch is less screwed.

BTW. When you start with a new ROOT version, make sure you also rebuild all your stuff completely from scratch again.

What kind of errors do you see in your own code, are they connected / related to ROOT?

@axel

Sorry – I should have posted earlier… I downloaded root once again. Made sure all former root libraries were deleted. I also updated Xcode and the associated command line tools/libs etc. My code is now running and the warnings I saw two weeks ago are now “gone”. My code compiles and runs. I thank you once again for your response and the development and support of root.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.