Visual C++ 2010 and ROOT

I want to know if I can buy Visual C++ 2010. Will you provide in the future a version of ROOT compiled and linked with Visual C++ 2010? Thanks

Hi Francois-Xavier,

There was an issue with MSVC++2010 STL implementation and ROOT, and I’m not sure about the actual status. (I have to check) And there is no plan to provide MSVC++ 2010 binaries for the time being.
And you know that you can use the free version (express edition) of Visual Studio if you don’t need MFC…

Cheers, Bertrand.

This is a very bad new. I guess I cannot anymore buy the old version of Visual C++ and it would be a bad idea anyway. Can you reconsider the problem?

Hi Francois-Xavier,

We will probably provide MSVC++2010 binaries in the near future, but the platform/compiler choices are mainly driven by the LHC experiments. And you can still build ROOT from source…
Anyway, I’ll see if I can get a virtual machine with MSVC++2010 and I’ll let you know.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi,

several people have built ROOT with MSVC 2010 - it’s supported and if it fails we’ll fix it. But as Bertrand says you have to build it yourself for now.

Cheers, Axel.

:smiley: Thanks a lot! I was afraid that you abandon Windows! I will wait until you provide a binary version, since I always had problems building ROOT on Windows.