Very easy question about meaning of histogram

Dear Rooters,

First of all, I’m really sorry if this question very easy for you.

I made a very simple following macro to draw a histogram,

{
TH1F *fh  = new TH1F("fh", "fh" ,3 ,0 ,3);
Int_t n=0;
for (Int_t i=0; i<5; i++)
  {
    if(i>2) 
    {n++;
    printf("%d\n",i);
     }
   }
printf("n=%d\n",n);
fh->Fill(n);
fh->Draw();
}

and I get one point at 2.5, but I think because of I have 2 values (3 and 4) and this point should be at 2. Also, entries part of the histogram shows that it has 1 entry. But again I think, it must be 2.

So, I’m really confused. Could you please help me to understand this situation.

Thank you very much,

Kind regards to All,

Ayben

Can you give us an idea why you wrote your “for” loop at all :question:

[quote=“Ayben”]I made a very simple following macro to draw a histogram[/quote]I found your macro is overcomplicated.[quote=“Ayben”]So, I’m really confused. Could you please help me to understand this situation[/quote]If you remove all redundant statements from your example you may have ended up with the simpler code

TH1F *fh = new TH1F("fh", "fh" ,3 ,0 ,3); fh->Fill(2); fh->Draw();It does exactly the same job, eliminates the confusion, and it does answer your question ( I hope :unamused: ).

maybe the question was why the point 2 was printed in 2.5

this is because your histogram only has 3 bins. They go from 0-1, 1-2 and 2-3.
All points which you are going to fill into that histogram are going to land in on of these 3 bins (+overflow and underflow bins).

so when you fill in 2 it puts it into the 2-3 bin. If you draw it as a point it gets drawn in the middle of the bin at 2.5.
The usual drawing style would be a bar from 2 to 3

That is because a histogram is basically just counting values inside a certain range(=bin width)
If you want your points exactly where they “should” be you need to use a TGraph (or very fine binning)