VC++ 9 root hangs when started from cygwin

Hi,

I wanted to start my root session from within cygwin. I installed the VC++ 9 version, which works from windows command shell. But when I start it from a cygwin bash shell I get the splash screen and the introducing text output but then it hangs and I have to kill root by Ctrl+c. My PATH in cygwin looks like

#> bash-3.2$ env | grep root PATH=/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/MiKTeX 2.9/miktex/bin:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/ATI Technologies/ATI.ACE/Core-Static:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/OpenAFS/Common:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/MIT/Kerberos/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/OpenAFS/Client/Program:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/QuickTime/QTSystem/:/cygdrive/c/root/bin:/cygdrive/c/root/bin ROOTSYS=C:\root\ PYTHONPATH=C:\root\bin

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

I cannot reproduce the problem (at least with bash version 3.2.49(22)) And I don’t see why you want to run from a cygwin shell anyway (I usually advise to not do it).

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

[quote=“bellenot”]
I cannot reproduce the problem (at least with bash version 3.2.49(22)) [/quote]

My bash version is 3.2.51(24)-release and I am using Windows 7 64bit version.

I found this thread: http://root.cern.ch/root/roottalk/roottalk09/0549.html. Thats why I thought it should be possible. It would just be convenient for me. I would like to not have a dual boot solution but a bash shell with all the usefull linux commands. Cygwin offers this possibility.

Cheers,

Moritz

Hi Moritz,

Well, cygwin is needed to compile Root from source on Windows, but not needed to actually use Root. Anyway, I’ll try with Windows 7 this evening and I’ll let you know.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi,
I cannot reproduce the problem. ROOT starts nicely from a cygwin shell (GNU bash, version 3.2.51(24)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)) on Windows 7 and I can use it normally…
Is it working normally for you from a Windows command prompt?

Bertrand.

hi Betrand,

thanks for looking into this.

Yes, I obtain a working prompt from a Windows command prompt, but in a cygwin bash shell I get a splash screen and only

[code] *******************************************

•    W E L C O M E  to  R O O T       *

• Version 5.27/06 29 September 2010 *

• You are welcome to visit our Web site *
  •      http://root.cern.ch            *

ROOT 5.27/06 (trunk@35856, Sep 29 2010, 11:29:35 on win32)

CINT/ROOT C/C++ Interpreter version 5.18.00, July 2, 2010
Type ? for help. Commands must be C++ statements.
Enclose multiple statements between { }.
[/code]
I get no root [0]
I can still write to the terminal but I get no reaction. I also observed that the splash screen is visible for a longer time, when I start root from cygwin bash. I get no further error messages. Note that I am using a 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Moritz

[quote]but in a cygwin bash shell I get a splash screen and only[/quote]Are do you start it? If it is in xterm window then it is a known (hard to resolve) problem.

Philippe.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I am using mintty (code.google.com/p/mintty/). When I tried it using Cygwin.bat it worked, surprisingly.

Hi,

Sounds consistent. The root library is compiled with and for the Microsoft Tools (even though the build is controlled by make) and does not work in any ‘tty’ emulation.

Cheers,
Philippe.

I see, thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Moritz

[quote=“pcanal”]Sounds consistent. The root library is compiled with and for the Microsoft Tools (even though the build is controlled by make) and does not work in any ‘tty’ emulation.
[/quote]

If you would like a version of Root that works on Windows in a sane terminal (mintty, mrxvt, xterm, rxvt, …)
I do recommend the gcc version of root. It is slower than the VC++ version, but I find this is more than made up for by the fact that environment is very much similar to that of linux/mac machines (e.g., it’s much easier to get the same Makefiles to work in all places, you have sim links, etc).

The warnings that they post are for very old versions of gcc (< 3.5) where as they now are using gcc > 4.3. I really think it’s time to get rid of them…

Cheers,
Charles

Thanks for the info. I was a little bit awed by the warning. I will try that version.