VC++7 (.NET) compilation: disable: "splot" , &quo

I can not compile the ROOT 5.08 with my VC++ v7.0 compiler due the compilation error in “splot” “smatrix” packages.

By some reason I was not find the way to disable these packages either.
There is no

./configure --disable-splot --disable-smatrix

Can one add the appropriated parameters to the ROOT “configure” script?

Thank you

Hi Valeri,

these packages are now an integral packages of ROOT and are always expected to be there, I don’t want to make an option that will allow some installations to have them and others not. To compile on your platform you can change the Makefile to take splot and smatrix out of the list of MODULES or better add a MyModules.mk that filters out of MODULES the splot and smatrix packages, like:

MODULES := $(filter-out splot,$(MODULES))

Cheers, Fons.

I am not sure I had seen the definition of the integral packages of ROOT. Can you point me where and when this term was introduced?
Did you imply none ROOT application can work without splot and smatrix packages in place?

I do not think it is an issue.
The point is whether ROOT can be used with Viusal C++ v.7.0 or not.
If ROOT is no use with this compiler that has to be announced to allow the ROOT user (like me) to secure the fund and buy the new Micosoft Compiler.
I have to admit the term “VC 7.0 is not supported” sounds too “soft” (for managment) to justify the new investment (for 1000’s ROOT users I guess according to the ROOT download statistics.)

Anyway such thing must be announce in advance. Are you agree?

I would like to mention among 4 different packages I have to compile for Windows, namely Qt, Coin3D, QGLViewer and ROOT, ROOT is only one I can not compile with the said compiler (starting with the version 5.xx)

So, your kind clear clarification on “VC++ 7.0” and “integral packages” matter would be appreciated a alot.

Hi Valeri,

As you know we do not have access to vc7.0. If there are ways to make splot and smatrix work for vc7.0 please let us know (we do not know which error there is).

Cheers,
Philippe.

[quote=“pcanal”]If there are ways to make splot and smatrix work for vc7.0 please let us know (we do not know which error there is).
[/quote].
Hi Philippe. Many thanks for your kind response. Please have a look at the tar file attached :

code [427] tar -tzvf smatrix.tar.gz
-rw-r–r-- fine/None 3142 2006-03-09 00:25:30 smatrix.log
-rwxr-xr-x fine/None 628222 2006-03-03 15:37:40 smatrix/src/G__Smatrix.cxx
-rwxr-xr-x fine/None 9907 2006-03-03 15:37:39 smatrix/src/G__Smatrix.h
-rw-r–r-- fine/None 53913 2006-03-02 19:21:39 include/Math/CramerInversion.icc[/code]

Let me know just you need me to try / check something with that VC++7.0 ( I Have been promised the new compiler is coming :slight_smile:
Soon none may have been complained about VC++ 7.0
smatrix.tar.gz (37.1 KB)

Unfortunately, I see no obvious way to work around this bug in vc7.0. Since your new compiler is coming soon I recommend you simply disable smatrix by hand.

Philippe.