V5.26 build segfaults during build of mathcore

Greetings,

I am trying to build ROOT from source for use on my desktop at home. The build fails midway through with a segmentation fault. This happens for both v5.26 and v5.24. I’ve pasted the output from make below. The host is Debian Linux (testing distribution) on an AMD Sempron. Please let me know if there is further information that would be helpful.

warlock:~/src/root> make
Generating dictionary math/mathcore/src/G__MathCore.cxx...
core/utils/src/rootcint_tmp -cint -f math/mathcore/src/G__MathCore.cxx -c math/mathcore/inc/TRandom.h math/mathcore/inc/TRandom1.h math/mathcore/inc/TRandom2.h math/mathcore/inc/TRandom3.h math/mathcore/inc/TVirtualFitter.h math/mathcore/inc/TKDTree.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/IParamFunction.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/IFunction.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/ParamFunctor.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/Functor.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/Minimizer.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/MinimizerOptions.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/Integrator.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/VirtualIntegrator.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/AllIntegrationTypes.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/AdaptiveIntegratorMultiDim.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/IntegratorMultiDim.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/Factory.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/FitMethodFunction.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/GaussIntegrator.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/GaussLegendreIntegrator.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/RootFinder.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/IRootFinderMethod.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/RichardsonDerivator.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/BrentMethods.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/BrentMinimizer1D.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/BrentRootFinder.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/SpecFuncMathCore.h math/mathcore/inc/Math/DistFuncMathCore.h math/mathcore/inc/LinkDef2.h
Error: cannot open file "RConfigure.h"  include/Math/QuantFuncMathCore.h:33:
Warning: Error occurred during reading source files
make: *** [math/mathcore/src/G__MathCore.cxx] Segmentation fault
make: *** Deleting file `math/mathcore/src/G__MathCore.cxx'

Cheers,
Matthew Lockner

What did you do before reaching this point? When running make teh installation procedure should not start with building MathMore. Did you set $ROOTSYS?
My suggestion

make distclean ./configure with your options make
Rene

This was a clean unpack and build from the source tarball; the excerpt I included was just the output of “make” when you try to build after it fails the first time (with the same sequence of messages as shown). $ROOTSYS is not set prior to building.

Running the rootcint_tmp line in isolation will also segfault.

Hmmm… running it through strace, I see:

read(61, "MultiFunctionPtr   >\nclass Wrapp"..., 4096) = 1672
open("include/TRandom.h", O_RDONLY)     = -1 EMFILE (Too many open files)
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
Segmentation fault

Too many open files could be the problem?

[quote]Too many open files could be the problem?[/quote]Yes, you need to find a way to increase the number of file you can open at once.

Cheers,
Philippe.