Using Root with VC++6

I’m a new root user and I have some C++ files with Root commands. I tried to follow the instructions on the web but I got link errors. I installed the: WindowsXP/NT/w2000 with VC++ 7.1 (runs with VC++6), version 4.02/00 (good old tar file) WIN32GDK,
and I added the directories in the tool/option/directoris.
some examples of the errors:
pedestal.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol “public: static void __cdecl TObject::operator delete(void *)” (??3TObject@@SAXPAX@Z)
pedestal.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: class TAxis * __thiscall TH1::GetYaxis(void)const " (?GetYaxis@TH1@@QBEPAVTAxis@@XZ)

I would appreciate to get step by step instructions for using the root with VC6.

Thanks!

Didi

Hello.

Did you set correct linker options ? (Project->Settings -> “Link” tab -> Object/library modules)

Hi Didi!

I’m also quiet new to ROOT and I use Visual Studio.Net which should be very very similar to VC6.

I remember to have had the same kind of messages. The problem is that you probably have a lot of

#include “…”

and/or

#include <…>

statements.

As far as I get it, the ones using “…” are no problem, because they advise the compiler (or whoever) to look for the header files in the project directory.

The ones with the <…> are maybe the problem. They advice the compiler to search for the header files in the include directories that are specified in your environment.

I think it is the best way to browse a bit through the various menus and tabs of VC6. You should find things like “standard include libraries” and “additional include libraries”. Each time you use something you haven’t written yourself, make sure that you included the correct header files and add those files to one of the directories, you specified for include files.

I hope that helps. There are A LOT of settings in the Visual series so it is very hard to debug someone else’s project.

If your project isn’t that big and you don’t need the graphic capabilities of VC6 you can also try to use “Dev C++” from “Bloodshed” software. That is an easy to use, free IDE. I think that it is a bit easier to use for beginners, because it has less overhead.

See you,

Tobias

Thank you!

I corrected the project->setting->link and it works :slight_smile:

tpochep & VC6? :smiley:

Hello.

Valeriy, what do you mean by this strange smile?

tpochep &:
VC 6.0 VC 7.0 VC 7.1
gcc [from 2.96 to 4], icl 7.1, icl 8.0, icc 7.1, comeau 4.3.3
:smiley: :smiley:

it’s offtopic:
I guessed “tpochep - is Timur Potcheptsov” (??)

Yes, right