Using a user-made .hpp in a root macro

I am trying to perform pulse analysis using root, because my pulses are stored in root histograms.
What I need is to loop over a histogram and locate local maxima and minima values.
To do that, I found

http://people.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~weinkauf/notes/persistence1d.html

so I downloaded the relevant files to my directory. Then I copied-pasted a simple example to check if it’s working which is the following

[code]#include “persistence1d.hpp”

using namespace std;
using namespace p1d;

int extrema()
{
//Create some data
vector< float > data;
data.push_back(2.0); data.push_back(5.0); data.push_back(7.0);
data.push_back(-12.0); data.push_back(-13.0); data.push_back(-7.0);
data.push_back(10.0); data.push_back(18.0); data.push_back(6.0);
data.push_back(8.0); data.push_back(7.0); data.push_back(4.0);

//Run persistence on data - this is the main call.
Persistence1D p;
p.RunPersistence(data);//<----------------This is where the code breaks

return 0;

}[/code]

However the code breaks and I am not able to run it. I am able to compile and run the code outside root but I want to do it in root in order to use the histogram functions.

The error I get when running the macro is

[quote]Error: Can’t call Persistence1D::RunPersistence(y) in current scope extrema.c:21:
Possible candidates are…
(in Persistence1D)
persistence1d.hpp 128:16 0 public: bool Persistence1D::RunPersistence(const vector& InputData);
*** Interpreter error recovered ***
[/quote]

Is there a way to implement into root an external .hpp file?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi,

this is easily done in ROOT6.
Here you find a modernised (C++11) version of your example:

#include "persistence1d.hpp"

using namespace std;
using namespace p1d;

int extrema()
{
   //Create some data
    vector< float > data {2,5,7,-12,-13,-7,10,18,6,8,7,4};

//Run persistence on data - this is the main call.
    Persistence1D p;
    p.RunPersistence(data);
    p.PrintResults();

return 0;
}

and this is the result I get after running root -b -q extrema.C:

Persistence: 2 minimum index: 8 maximum index: 9
Persistence: 5 minimum index: 0 maximum index: 2
Persistence: 14 minimum index: 11 maximum index: 7
Global minimum value: -13 index: 4

Cheers,
Danilo

Thank you very much for your reply!
How am I going to use Root6 in lxplus?
I forgot to mention that I am running root in my lxplus account.

So if I type

I get the error

Processing extrema_root_forum.C... Error: Variable name has bad character 'data{2,5,7,-12,-13,-7,10,18,6,8,7,4}' extrema_root_forum.C:9: *** Interpreter error recovered ***

Hi,

don’t worry: it is straightforward to use a precompiled version of root on lxplus :slight_smile:
Just type

. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.8/x86_64-slc6/setup.sh
. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.02.02/x86_64-slc6-gcc48-opt/root/bin/thisroot.sh

And in the future you can keep an eye on the ROOT site, in case a new version becomes available. For example: root.cern.ch/drupal/content/prod … ersion-602

Cheers,
Danilo

If I type the commands you proposed I get the message that

those are not three lines but two.

. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.8/x86_64-slc6/setup.sh
. /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.02.02/ [This path continues on the next line]
x86_64-slc6-gcc48-opt/root/bin/thisroot.sh

My commands and responses are the following

[astamato@lxplus0021 ~]$ . /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.8/x86_64-slc6/setup.sh /bin/.: Permission denied. [astamato@lxplus0021 ~]$ . /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.02.02/x86_64-slc6-gcc48-opt/root/bin/thisroot.sh /bin/.: Permission denied.

Can it be that your login shell is a “[t]csh”?
If yes, try: source /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.8/x86_64-slc6/setup.csh source /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.02.02/x86_64-slc6-gcc48-opt/root/bin/thisroot.csh

I am using a tcsh shell, indeed!
I typed your commands which returned no error. So I guess I must be able to run ROOT6.

However, I still cannot run it…

[astamato@lxplus0085 PSA-FIMG]$ root b q -l extrema.c Warning in <TApplication::GetOptions>: macro b not found Warning in <TApplication::GetOptions>: macro q not found root [0] Processing extrema.c... Error: Variable name has bad character 'data{2,5,7,-12,-13,-7,10,18,6,8,7,4}' extrema.c:9: *** Interpreter error recovered ***

root -l -b -q …
try: root -?

Oops… I am sorry… That was very stupid of me… Even then, however I cannot run it

[astamato@lxplus0082 persistence1d]$ root -l -b -q extrema_root_forum.C root [0] Processing extrema_root_forum.C... In file included from /afs/cern.ch/work/a/astamato/private/PSA-FIMG/Persistence1D/src/persistence1d/AutoDict_vector_p1d__TPairedExtrema_.cxx:1, from /afs/cern.ch/work/a/astamato/private/PSA-FIMG/Persistence1D/src/persistence1d/AutoDict_vector_p1d__TPairedExtrema__cxx_ACLiC_dict.h:34, from /afs/cern.ch/work/a/astamato/private/PSA-FIMG/Persistence1D/src/persistence1d/AutoDict_vector_p1d__TPairedExtrema__cxx_ACLiC_dict.cxx:17: /afs/cern.ch/work/a/astamato/private/PSA-FIMG/Persistence1D/src/persistence1d/persistence1d.hpp: In member function ‘void p1d::Persistence1D::Watershed()’: /afs/cern.ch/work/a/astamato/private/PSA-FIMG/Persistence1D/src/persistence1d/persistence1d.hpp:639: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions Error: Variable name has bad character 'data{2,5,7,-12,-13,-7,10,18,6,8,7,4}' extrema_root_forum.C:9: *** Interpreter error recovered ***

This error looks like you were running ROOT 5 … try:
which root
type root
where root
(or simply run “root” without “-l -b” and see how it introduces itself).

It’s really version 5.
But I was suppossed to have already changed my current version using

source /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/external/gcc/4.8/x86_64-slc6/setup.csh source /afs/cern.ch/sw/lcg/app/releases/ROOT/6.02.02/x86_64-slc6-gcc48-opt/root/bin/thisroot.csh

But you do remember that the effects of “source …” are valid in the current shell only (i.e. in the same x-terminal window in which you executed it), unless you added them to your “${HOME}/.[t]cshrc”.
Try (see if you get ROOT 6 version specific entries “in front” of these variables):
echo ${ROOTSYS}
echo ${PATH}
echo ${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}