Unable to run Pythia8 using ROOT 6 (unable to find TPythia8.h file)

ROOT Version: rootv6.12.06
Platform: Ubuntu 16.04

My primary motive is to run Pythia8 directly using ROOT6.12.06. In better word, I want to run a pythia8 code and plot the data, all using a single macro and running it in ROOT.

So, what I did is mentioned step by step:

I installed ROOT 6.12.06 successfully in the location:

/usr/local/root

and added the following lines at the end of the .bashrc file, as mentioned in the ROOT readme file:

export ROOTSYS=/usr/local/root
export PATH=$ROOTSYS/bin:$PATH
export PYTHONDIR=$ROOTSYS
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$ROOTSYS/bindings/pyroot:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PYTHONPATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$PYTHONPATH:$ROOTSYS/bindings/pyroot

After that, I could open ROOT from any directory successfully and execute simple ROOT macros without any error.

Then, I installed Pythia 8.186 successfully, following instructions mentioned in the Lund University webpage, in the location:

/home/hp/Pythia8Progs/pythia8186

and as per this link, I further added these lines to my .bashrc file:

source /usr/local/root/bin/thisroot.sh
export PYTHIA8=/home/hp/Pythia8Progs/pythia8186
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PYTHIA/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Then I ran the pythia8.C file stored in the tutorials subdirectory of ROOT and this is the error that it showed:

root [6] .x pythia8.C
In file included from input_line_101:1:
/usr/local/root/tutorials/pythia/pythia8.C:23:10: fatal error: 'TPythia8.h' file not found
#include "TPythia8.h"
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/root/tutorials/pythia/pythia8.C:41:4: error: unknown type name 'TPythia8'
   TPythia8* pythia8 = new TPythia8();
   ^
/usr/local/root/tutorials/pythia/pythia8.C:41:28: error: unknown type name 'TPythia8'
   TPythia8* pythia8 = new TPythia8();

I have done exactly what I have stated above. I don’t know what is wrong with the file and why it is not running. I presume somehow ROOT cannot find the TPythia8.h file stored in:
/usr/local/root/montecarlo/pythia8/TPythia8.h

But I don’t know how to correct it.

Please help. And suggest me if I can do anything else in order to run Pythia8 from ROOT6 itself.

Hi, I think you opened other post How to configure ROOT after installation
about Pythia8 configuration. Did you build ROOT with -Dpythia8=ON enabled and do you know if Pythia8 library was detected by ROOT during configuration step?

No I did not do that step and hence I opened the other post to know if I could configure it now.
I dont know if the Pythia8 library was detected by ROOT during configuration step but there is no libEGPythia8 in the ROOT directory, that is perhaps very much needed for this.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.