Unable to run a C++ ROOTbook

Dear all,

We are setting up a JupyterLab platform, whose notebooks are currently spawned within a Docker container.

We have installed several ROOT versions which are available from a shared mount on the compute cluster and within the Docker container.

We however experience a few issues running a C++ ROOTbook.

We set up a kernel.json containing the following

{
   "language": "c++",
   "display_name": "ROOT C++",
   "argv": [
      "PATH_TO_THE_HELPER_SCRIPT",
      "-f",
      "{connection_file}"
   ]
}

The helper script is used to set up the required environment required by the ROOT version chosen

#!/bin/bash

SET UP MY ENV
#
exec python -m JupyROOT.kernel.rootkernel "$@"

Doing as describe above, the new kernel is available from the Jupyter notebook, however commands usually hang, and the kernel eventually dies.

I have checked the various recipes, and I don’t see what I am doing wrong.

I did the same for a Python ROOTbook, and it works as a charm (with a similar ‘helper’ script to set up the required environment)!

Do you have any idea of what I am missing to make it work?

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,

Sébastien

Please read tips for efficient and successful posting and posting code

ROOT Version: v6.18.00
Platform: CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908
Compiler: gcc (GCC) 4.8.5

Hi,
Can you try to launch JupyterLab manually from inside the container and check what is the message you get when you spawn a ROOT C++ notebook?

One thing we do in the kernel.json of the ROOT C++ notebook is making sure that the Python you use to run the kernel is the same Python that ROOT was built with. Perhaps you could check that?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.