Unable to compile the root version 6.20.00 with cmake

ROOT Version: 6.20.00
Platform: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa)
Compiler: gcc (Ubuntu 9.3.0-10ubuntu2) 9.3.0

Hi,
I am trying to compile root on my computer.

After executing cmake -Dgdml=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../install ../source I receive an error message stating that the “Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!”.

In CMakeError.log I have found that

/usr/bin/ld: src.c:(.text+0x52): undefined reference to `pthread_detach'
/usr/bin/ld: src.c:(.text+0x63): undefined reference to `pthread_join'

All of my packages are up to date.
Command nm /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 | grep thread_detach shows that pthread_detach is present in the library of interest:

al264242@dphnpcl147:~/Documents/Files$ nm /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 | grep thread_detach
000000000000a980 t __pthread_detach
000000000000a980 W pthread_detach

Also, in my .bashrc file I defined:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/usr/lib64:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Could you, please, recommend me what should I do?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Would this happen to be running in a virtual machine? What steps did you follow, from start to this point?

1 Like

Hi,
can you also post the full output of the cmake configuration command, and try again after removing the LD_LIBRARY_PATH customization from .bashrc and starting a new shell?

Also note that unless you have some specific needs you don’t have to compile ROOT from source: there are several other installation methods.

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi,
thank you for your message.
I downloaded the root_v6.20.08.source.tar.gz file, extracted it, made the build directory in which I executed cmake command:

cmake -Dgdml=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../install ../source

Hi,

I am attaching CMakeOutput and CMakeError logs here:
CMakeOutput.txt (69.7 KB)
CMakeError.txt (2.9 KB)

After removing export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/usr/lib64:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH line from the .bashrc I got the same result.

I have to compile another software based on root, so this is why I tried to compile root from source, as it would be compiled with the same version of compiler.
But, I hope it will work fine with the precompiled version of root. Thank you, I will try it out.

Hi @alobasenko,
it’s hard for me to say what exactly, but there is something broken in your environment (do you have all ROOT dependencies installed (openssl-dev is called libssl-dev in Ubuntu 20.04)?).

I just tried building ROOT 6.20.08 from source in a Ubuntu 20.04 docker container, and it completed successfully with this sequence of commands:

$ docker run -it --rm ubuntu:20.04G
# apt -y update && apt -y upgrade && apt-get install dpkg-dev cma$                   
e g++ gcc binutils libx11-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libxext-dev python libssl-dev gf$
rtran libpcre3-dev xlibmesa-glu-dev libglew1.5-dev libftgl-dev libmysqlclient-dev li$
fftw3-dev libcfitsio-dev graphviz-dev libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev libldap2-dev pyth$
n-dev libxml2-dev libkrb5-dev libgsl0-dev wget git                                   
# wget https://root.cern/download/root_v6.20.08.source.tar.gz                        
# tar -xzvf root_v6.20.08.source.tar.gz                                              
# mkdir root-build root-install                                                      
# cd root-build                                                                      
# cmake -Dgdml=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../root-install ../root-6.20.08 && cmake --build . -- -j8

Cheers,
Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Apparently, there were problems with dependencies, because it helped a lot and I successfully compiled root.

Thank you very much and sorry for such a trivial mistake.

Sincerely,
Andrii.

1 Like

I’m glad you were able to resolve the issue!
Cheers,
Enrico

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.