Ubuntu repository

Hi rooters,
What is the “official” way of ROOT packaging for Ubuntu?
Currently avail in Ubuntu 8.10 repo is root 5.18, while current in production 5.20.
Who and when triggers the packaging of new version for Canonical repository?

[quote=“kir”]Hi rooters,
What is the “official” way of ROOT packaging for Ubuntu?
Currently avail in Ubuntu 8.10 repo is root 5.18, while current in production 5.20.
Who and when triggers the packaging of new version for Canonical repository?[/quote]

Same question here. It’s really convenient to install ROOT using Synaptic Manager in Ubuntu, but currently it only provides version 5.18.

Can someone make the latest version available please?

Thank you,
Georgios

thats not how the ubuntu package management system works. Only serious bugs and security vurnabilities are fixed during the lifecycle of an ubuntu version.
A new version of root could only be added to the repository of the next release 9.10 (end of october)

Somebody could create a PPA (personal package archive) for root. (Maybe one exists already but I have not found it)
But adding a PPA to your package manager is only a few steps less than actually installing root by hand :slight_smile:

Ubuntu 9.10 is now out. I could only find root 5.18 so far.

Is anything planned?

Hi,

we don’t provide Ubuntu package maintenance; last time this was the result of the work of voluntary heroes! The best way to kick this off is to submit a request to lauchpad, bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc … o-redirect

More important than filing a bug is of course taking care of the update itself. So if any of you have a few hours then please give it a try! You can also discuss at the MOTU science list lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listin … tu-science - I’m sure you can find somebody knowledgeable with packaging.

The last option - which only helps you but not Ubuntu - is to use Christian Holm’s repository from mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root/ubuntu/

Cheers, Axel.