Ubuntu 18 "recompile with -fPIC"

ROOT Version: v6.26.10
Platform: Ubuntu 18.04
Compiler: cmake version 3.25.1

On Ubuntu 18.04, I first had to install a number of libs (libxpm-dev, libxft-dev, libxml2, libxml2-dev, zlib1g, zlib1g-dev, uuid-dev, libz3-dev, automake) and now the compilation gets to 84%.
I compile using the following 3 commands:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../$INSTALL_DIR ../root_src -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=17
cmake --build . --target install -j3
make install

However, during “make”, after 84%, it complains:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a(assert.o): relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `stdout@@GLIBC_2.2.5' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

Where do I put this “-fPIC” flag? I tried putting it after “make” and after “cmake”, but in both cases it complains. How should I “compile with -fPIC” (and will this give a useful root installation)?

Best regards,

Machiel

For some reason, most solutions in the previous links did not work. I also didn’t manage to compile fftw from source (“recipe for target ‘all’ failed”), so I ended up configureing ROOT with the additional flag:
-Dbuiltin_fftw3=ON”, as you suggested.
This worked: root compiled.
My question is: does this have any consequences? Will root fail in certain circumstances because it has been configured this way?

Best regards,

Machiel

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.