TTree using vector branch as index for another vector branch

Hello,

For a while now I have made much use of the behaviour that if I had two vector branches in a TTree, I could do TTreeFormula-type access of an element of the first branch with index corresponding to the value of a second branch. E.g. I could do: branch1[branch2] and if branch2’s value was always a valid index of branch1, I would get what I wanted. E.g.:

branch1 = {2,4,6,8};
branch2 = {0,0,2,3};

doing: Scan(“branch1[branch2]”)

would give: {2,2,6,8} as the returned values for each iteration in that entry.

I wanted to now do a similar thing but where branch1 was a vector of vectors. The behaviour seems to be what I would want, but I get an error message from ROOT:

Error in TArrayI::At: index 2 out of bounds (size: 2, this: 0x4fc9ed0)

Here’s a minimal reproducer:

{
  TTree t("t","t");
  std::vector<std::vector<int>>* v1 = new std::vector<std::vector<int>>;
  v1->resize(2);  v1->at(0).resize(2,1);  v1->at(1).resize(2,3);
  //so v1 = {{1,1},{3,3}}
  std::vector<int>* v2 = new std::vector<int>(3,1);
  //so v2 = {1,1,1}
  t.Branch("v1",&v1);t.Branch("v2",&v2);t.Fill();

t.Scan("v1[v2][0]","Iteration$==0"); //this produces the desired result of '3' but with an error as above

}

Is this way of using the value of one branch as the index of another erroneous in this example? I need to make the error go away because it is flooding my log files when I process a large TTree with this sort of formula

Just to say, this error appears when the v1 (vector of vectors) is of a smaller size than v2 (the vector of indices).

Thank you

Will

Hi Will,

Indeed, I can reproduce the problem and have been working on it for a couple of days.

Thanks,
Philippe.

PS. For the record, the related JIRA ticket is https://sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-8726

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.