Dear ROOTers,

I’m saving in a TTree an object like:

class DataArray : public TObject
{
   int nch;
   int *ch; //[nch]

// ..etc..
}

(You can find the full code in the attached tgz… it is a bit messy sorry… it is still under construction…)

And I save also a TCloneArray of such DataArrays.
The problem is that sometimes I get a crash when Scan()ning the TTree, asking for the variable size embedded array, i.e. asking ’ tree.Scan(“myclonearray.ch”) ’
I discovered that the crash is triggered by an empty TCloneArray in the first scanned entry.

I have prepared in the attached tgz the script “test2.C” producing a tree with 3 entries, the first and the last ones are empty.
I tested:

1. tree.Scan(“gxcl.ch”,"","",100,0)
  2. tree.Scan(“gxcl.ch”,"","",100,1)
  3. tree.Scan(“gxcl.ch”,"","",100,2)

I get crash in the first and third case, while the second one works as expected (showing also the third empty entry without problem).

Am I wrong in the way I write such object in the TTree?
In fact, to be honest, the space for the variable size array is allocated only once during object construction (you can use a large number) and the same space is reused every time, to avoid the cost of memory reallocation during tree filling: in the full code you can see the int “nallocated” used to know the allocated space; the default constructor do not allocate anything (it is there for the I/O).
I checked the auto-generated streamer by rootcint and it seems fine: it takes “nch” as array length and not “nallocated”.

To make a summary, this code seems to works fine if directly embedded in the tree, but gives this problem if contained in a TCloneArray.
I believe that asking for “all the elements of a variables size array of an object, for all the objects contained in a TCloneArray” is supported, because if I found a similar case in the “Event” ROOT example and if I Draw() the same request I do not get any crash.

I would be very grateful if you can help me with some explanation.

Thanks a lot,
Matteo
DataArraytest.tgz (3.1 KB)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this problem. It is fixed by revision 34590 of the trunk.

Cheers,
Philippe.

PS. Note that to avoid memory leak you ought to use the destructor: virtual ~DataArray() { if(ch) delete [] ch; };(note the extra brackets)