Ttree fill memory leak

I have a massive memory leak in my program which involves writing data to a rootfile. I have traced it to one line, ttree->Fill(). Commenting this out results in no leak, however if this is not the case the memory consumption is huge, and grows very quickly. I am writing a lot of data but when calling ttree->AutoSave() or ttree->FlushBaskets(), every n events, both return 0 bytes written.

if(recordCount_ % 50 ==0){
		Long64_t bytesWritten = tree->AutoSave("FlushBaskets");
		int bytesWritten2 = tree->FlushBaskets();
		std::cout << "\nBytes written to file: " << bytesWritten2 <<std::endl;
		tree->Print();
	}

I have attached the memory usage of my computer when running it for both cases, as a function of time.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi, seems very similar to [root-forum.cern.ch/t/increasing-memory-usage-by-tbranch-fill/17095/1 (not solved). I join your request for help 8)

I think it would be helpful if you explicitly said WHICH memory related field / column you monitor in “top”. In general, there are (at least) three, called “VIRT”, “RES” and “SHR” (see “man top” for details).

That said, I tried the “testFill.C” macro (from the [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/increasing-memory-usage-by-tbranch-fill/17095/1 post by davide84[/url]) on two Linux machines (gcc 4.4.x). The “root.exe” process uses something like 35 - 40 MB “VIRT”, 15 - 20 MB “RES”, 10 MB “SHR” on a 32-bit i686 system and 105 - 110 MB “VIRT”, 25 - 30 MB “RES”, 10 MB “SHR” on a 64-bit x86_64 system.

I have broken it into VIRT and RES memory.

Can you, please, instead of all these nice plots provide a minimal code fragment reproducing your problem with huge memory leaks, as soon as you trace it down to the TTree::Fill?
Otherwise, what do you expect from us looking at plots? They look cool, ok.

What are the units on the “y” axis for “VIRT” and “RES” memory?
If these numbers are in “megabytes”, then … (well, I assume you use a 64-bit system and your “root” application is compiled as a 64-bit one) …

1. your “root” application uses quite a lot of RAM -> 1 - 7 GiB “VIRT” (can you account for the initial 1 GiB?) -> does you machine have enough RAM installed (more than 10 GiB, I would say) or does it start to “swap” when running your application?

Well, to me it seems that there’s a strange jump at the “time” around 35 min. …

1. … it seems to be correlated with “VIRT” memory usage exceeding 4 GiB (that might be related to some problem with some 32- bit counter which simply overflows)

2. … it seems to be correlated with “RES” memory usage exceeding 2 GiB -> can you check
    [bash]$ ulimit -S -a
    [bash]$ ulimit -H -a
    [tcsh]$ limit
    [tcsh]$ limit -h
    and make sure that you do not exceed any limits

3. … can it be that you write to a file which is located on a filesystem which imposes 2 or 4 GiB file size limit?

(Well, it seems to me that this strange jump is somehow also visible in the plots in which you commented out the “tree->Fill()”.)

Just for curiosity … can you create such pictures for the “testFill.C” macro (from the [url=https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/increasing-memory-usage-by-tbranch-fill/17095/1 post by davide84[/url])?

After I fixed the macro you linked (see attachment), I have the following picture in the ‘Instruments’ application, with a memory-leak detector active. No leaks found (and memory usage is like a saw between function calls).

P.S. I’m also attaching an image to show how ‘Instruments’ usually reports memory leaks, if you have any (leaks.png)

testFill.C (689 Bytes)

Here is the code that I am using to fill the tree, called in my Geant4TrackingProcessor Class.

void Geant4TrackingProcessor::process() {
inData_->GetEntry(precessCount_);
precessCount_++;

bool good = false;
good = filter_.Process(event_,qeccOnly_);
if (good) {
		if (g4tracking_.Process(event_) ) {
  		this->getHitCollections();
  		MChits_->printToStream(std::cout);
  		backTracer_.push_back(recordCount_);
            //this gives memory leak
 		outData_->Fill();
	/*if(recordCount_ % 50 ==0){
		Long64_t bytesWritten = outData_->AutoSave("FlushBaskets");
		int bytesWritten2 = outData_->FlushBaskets();
		std::cout << "\nBytes written to file: " << bytesWritten2 <<std::endl;
		outData_->Print();
	}*/
 		recordCount_++;
	MChits_->clearSDHits();
		}
}

}

Where I initialise the TFile in my ProcessorManager class:

void ProcessorManager::setFile(std::string filename){
datafile_ = new TFile(filename.c_str(), “RECREATE”);
fileSet=true;
std::cout << "\n************** Going to write to " << filename << “\n” <<std::endl;
}

I have also tried implementing the flush baskets in this class with:

void ProcessorManager::writePartial(int processorNumber) {

if(fileSet==true){
// Open output root file
datafile_->SetCompressionLevel(compression_);
datafile_->cd();

TTree *tree = getData(processorNumber);
tree->SetDirectory(0);
Long64_t bytesWritten = tree->AutoSave("FlushBaskets"); 
Int_t bytesWritten2 = tree->FlushBaskets();

std::cout << "\nWriting to tree..., bytes written: " << bytesWritten2 <<std::endl;
tree->Print();

datafile_->Close();

}
}

void ProcessorManager::go() {

if (processors_[iproc]->getName() == “Geant4TrackingProcessor”) {
//write to the file every 50 events
if(ientry % 50 == 0)this->writePartial(iproc);
}

}

This is also not successfully writting to the file either.

I use a 4GB Quadcore SL6 machine 64 bit. The y axis for memory is in MB.

1. With the fill commented out, VIRT stays at 1GB which is not problematic.

2. ulimit -S -a:
    core file size (blocks, -c) 0
    data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
    scheduling priority (-e) 0
    file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
    pending signals (-i) 30469
    max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 64
    max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
    open files (-n) 1024
    pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
    POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
    real-time priority (-r) 0
    stack size (kbytes, -s) 10240
    cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
    max user processes (-u) 1024
    virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
    file locks (-x) unlimited

ulimit -H -a:
core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 0
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 30469
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 64
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 4096
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority (-r) 0
stack size (kbytes, -s) unlimited
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) 30469
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited

1. No size limit imposed on files

Running the testFill.C from the previous post for 10000000 events, I get:

[quote]Here is the code that I am using to fill the tree, called in my Geant4TrackingProcessor Class.
[/quote]

I’m sorry, I need the code which reproduces your problem which I can run on my machine to test.
I’m not able to use these pieces you copied. Try to: create the same structure/code you have (tree, branches) and tell me approx. amount of data your are using and check, if you still see the leak.

Discussing particular system’s memory management is quite useless unless you are familiar with implementation details/algorithms. Claiming TTree has a leak without providing a working code to reproduce - is also useless.

Ok I have tried to simplify the code the best I can, and it contains the data and methods for writing to the ttree. The files are attached.
testFill2.C (2.67 KB)
DataLib.C (718 Bytes)
DataLib.hh (4.88 KB)

Thank you!

So, there are no leaks, and this is nice, only a huge memory usage.

What did you fix in the macro? I see that you initialize the struct, and removed the pointer from the file declaration…

Unfortunately, your code failed to demonstrate a memory leak you’ve mentioned. After I spent some time fixing different errors you have, I was able to run it and attach ‘leaks’ tool from the ‘Instruments’ app to the ROOT’s process. Here’s the screen shot.

Fixed. The problem was not the code I uploaded but the way it was implemented in our software. I have realised that it was simply due to me not setting the correct directory for the tree. All that was needed was

output_file->cd()

before the tree constructor, as in our software we have the file initialised in another class.

There is now no memory leak. Thank you for all your comments.

1 Like