Trying to use geant4_vmc

Dear Root (especially vmc) experts,

As a beginner, following the web page & README’s in codes, I have installed and built successfully:

• geant3 (version 1.10 with -DWITHBOTH in cxx flags)
  • geant4 (version geant4.9.2(.p01))
  • vgm (version 3.02)
  • geant4_vmc (version 2.6) (with also examples buildind)

All is considered within root 5.23/02 framework built with g4root and pythia6 expected requirememts.

When I tryed to run examples (E01,E02,E03…), .x run_g3.C works fine :slight_smile: but .x run_g4.C leads to a crash like:

Loading Geant4 libraries ... Loading VGM libraries ... Loading G4root library ... Loading geant4vmc library ... dlopen error: ~myhome/geant4_vmc/lib/tgt_linuxx8664gcc/libgeant4vmc.so: undefined symbol: G3Vol Load Error: Failed to load Dynamic link library ~myhome/geant4_vmc/lib/tgt_linuxx8664gcc/libgeant4vmc.so

I have checked G4LIB_USE_G3TOG4, G4INSTALL, … various LD_LIBRAIRY_PATH, recompiled, all seems to be correctly set (at least as the web-list requires)

Many thanks in advance for any help !

Arnaud

The missing symbol is defined in libG3toG4.
Could you check that this library is present in
$G4INSTALL/lib/$G4SYSTEM

If it is present, check that it is also loaded to Root by
modifying the macro g4libs.C,
which is in geant4_vmc/examples/macros,
by uncommenting the lines following the comment line
// Uncomment to debug
inside the method
void HandleLinkLine(…).
This will print all Geant4 libraries which are loaded.

You can also try to use the old version, g4libs_old.C,
by changing the macro name in run_g4.C macro:
gROOT->LoadMacro("…/macro/g4libs_old.C");
g4libs();

Ivana

Thanks for the quick answer,

As you have suggested, due to some corrupted links, some libraries were not seen …
After some cleaning, now it works !, at least with the _old config file (modifying the granular/global call)
I have now to understand why, with the ‘uptodate’ one, I obtain:

sh: /myhome/geant4.9.2.p01/lib//libname.map: No such file or directory
Loading Geant4 libraries ...
Loading VGM libraries ...
dlopen error: /myhomeVMC/vgm.3.02/lib/Linux-g++/libGeant4GM.so: undefined symbol: _ZTI11G4PVReplica

even if libname.map exists at the quoted location… (maybe the the additionnal /…?)

Cheers,

Arnaud

There should be $G4SYSTEM content in between the two slashes in the path to libname.map. Was G4SYSTEM variable set when you run the macro?

Regards,

Ivana

Many thanks !

This was missing, All is OK now.

Best regards,

Arnaud