Trying to make a TPC with a D2 type symmetry

I’m currently trying to simulate a TPC which has concentrically placed wires inside a grounded tube. From what I can see this corresponds to the D2 type symmetry in the Garfield++ documentation. I have tried to use the SetPeriodicityPhi class, but this did not work. I’ve just recently started working with Garfield, I would be very grateful if any of you could guide me in this regard. Thanks a lot!

I think @hschindl can most probably help you solving your issue

1 Like

Hi,
I think you have two options to model your layout:

(1) You can work in Cartesian coordinates, create a (cylindrical) tube, and then place each of the wires separately inside the tube (you cannot exploit phi-periodicity in this case).

(2) You can use polar coordinates. Then you can create an equipotential plane at constant radius (i. e your tube), add a wire, and set the phi periodicity.

I’ve attached a little example that illustrates the two solutions.
polar.C (1.3 KB)

1 Like

Thank you so much. This helped a lot! So I had a further question regarding this, can I use the sensor.SetArea function with the second setup? My searches showed a manual showing a call Polar_to_Cartesian function. This being a Fortran function, I was wondering if I could achieve something similar in Garfield++ or if I should just add the the wires manually in Cartesian.
Again Thank you so much for your help!

Yes, you can still set a drift region (box) in the sensor using SetArea, irrespective of the coordinate system you are using in the ComponentAnalyticField class.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.