Trouble installing root for Windows 10

ROOT Version: 6.16/00
Platform: Not Provided
Compiler: Not Provided

After installing via root_v6.16.00.win32.vc15.debug.exe, I run the root app and this come up:

I am unsure what I have done wrong. Please note that currently I do not have Visual Studio installed. However, I do have Xming installed. Also, I am a noob.

You have to install Visual Studio 2019 and take one of the latest nightly builds available here, for example root_v6.16.99.win32.vc16.debug.exe

What is the difference between the nightly builds and the one that I installed? Also, thank you

The latest nightly builds are built with Visual Studio 2019, and the one you installed has been build with Visual Studio 2017 (which is now broken). And BTW, when you install Visual Studio, make sure you select “Desktop Development with C++

Thank you so much. It is now working. Although there is still some errors when I run the root app (error: redefinition of ‘_CrtEnableIf<true, _Ty>’, error: redefinition of ‘__crt_locale_data_public’, error: redefinition of ‘__crt_locale_pointers’), it doesn’t seem significant. Should I try to fix these errors now?

This is maybe due to a mismatch between the versions of Visual Studio (16.0.4) and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.17763.0) used to build ROOT and the versions installed on your computer… And there is not much you can do about it, I’m afraid…(or try to install the Windows 10 SDK version 10.0.17763.0)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.