Transverse mass calculaton with TLorentzVector gives wrong results

Hi all,
I have the following question: Why does the .Mt() value from TLorentzVector give me a different result for the mass distribution of the W boson than the known short formula for 2 leptons? The formula gives me a peak at around 80 GeV which is correct, but the value from the TLorentzVector gives me a peak at around 130 GeV. This is the code I have:

int n_el = el_pt.GetSize();
   for (int i=0; i < n_el; i++){
		if(el_pt[i]/1000 > 27 && *met_met/1000 > 30){	     
   		TLorentzVector P_elec;
		 TLorentzVector P_neut;
                 P_elec.SetPtEtaPhiM(el_pt[i]/1000, el_eta[i], el_phi[i], 0);         //pt in GeV
      	         P_neut.SetPtEtaPhiM(*met_met/1000, 0, *met_phi, 0);  

//Calculation of W_mT
                Double_t deltaPhi = TMath::Abs(el_phi[i] - *met_phi); 
                Double_t CosdeltaPhi = TMath::Cos(deltaPhi);

Double_t W_mT _1= TMath::Sqrt(2.0 * el_pt[i]/1000 * (*met_met)/1000 * (1.0 - CosdeltaPhi));  
		 Double_t W_mT_2 = (P_elec + P_neut).Mt();
      }
   }

Thanks!

Hi @helton ,

Maybe @moneta has a clue about this.

Cheers,
Vincenzo

Hi,
You are referring to 2 different definitions, see for example: Transverse mass - Wikipedia

TLorentzVector and the recomended to use ROOT::Math::LorentzVector returns as Mt the transverse mass of a particle defined as sqrt(M2 + Pt2), and it is always greater than M, while the other formula computes the transverse mass of a 2 -particle system, which is a different definition as shown in the linked Wikipedia article.

Best regards,

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

I see, thanks for the clarification. Since only the second formula gives me the “right” result (aka the right mass) I wonder; If I wanted to calculate the transverse mass where say a lepton, neutrino and a jet or so are involved, so in total 3 “particles”, I cant really analytically calculate a formula like in the 2 particle case. What do I do then?

Greetings

The second formula is used when you have invisible decays (e.g. W decays) and you have then a quantity that is sensible to the mass of the original particle (W). I guess you can probably build a similar formula in case of a 3 body decays, but I don’t know the analytical form/

Best,

Lorenzo

When I try to use LorentzVector instead of TLorentzVector I get a weird error in the header files that it cant find for example #include <Math/Vector4D.h> or Math/GenVector/PxPyPzE4D.h’. Are these outdated headers?

I am using ROOT 6.24/08 on a analysis facility for ATLAS so it should be setup correctly

Greetings

HI,
This is strange, the headers should be installed as the other ROOT headers. How are you building the code ?

Lorenzo

Not sure if I understand the question. But I made a file with MakeSelector(). But doesnt matter if I add it in the .h or the .C file it doesnt seem to find it.

Greetings

Nut how are you compiling the code made from MakeSelector() ? Or are you using the code directly from the ROOT prompt ? In this last case you don’t need to add any include files

Lorenzo

I just save the .C file and run it with ->Process(… .C) from the prompt

Greetings

Hi,
Ah I see, this is an old way to process a TTree. But what is happening if you are just doing at the ROOT prompt:

root [1]  #include "Math/Vector4D.h"

?

Hi,

even when I do that it gives me: ROOT_prompt_3:1:10: fatal error: ‘Math/Vector4D.h’ file not found
#include “Math/Vector4D.h”

Strange, which ROOT version are you using ?

I am using ROOT 6.24/08