TGuiBuilder doesn't work on Windows install

Hi,

I am trying to run TGuiBuilder on my Windows XP root install (BNL version with VC++8) and the buttons at the top flicker and do not seem to work. Also the dop down menus at the top never become active (the cursor turns into an up arrow). The buttons to select the widgets do not do anything.

I already have code of my own that include TGTextButtons and the like, so the gui stuff seems to be there.

This looks like a handy tool that I’d like to be able to use if possible. Is this Qt thing included in the BNL build a similar type of thing? Is there an example or docs anywhere for that?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi,

We do not see this effect with the official current version of ROOT…
For problems related to BNL distributions of ROOT with Qt, please address questions directly to BNL (Valeri Fine). Thanks.

Cheers,
Bertrand.

Hi Alex,

[quote] Is there an example or docs anywhere for that?[/quote]The related chapter in ROOT User’s Guide at ftp://root.cern.ch/root/doc/chapter27.pdf may help. I know that Valeri Fine is away this week and may answer you with a delay.

Cheers, Ilka

Hi again,

I find that if I try running guitest.C I see problems with the TGPopupMenu’s. What I see is that the menu bar at the top, for example “File” will cascade open, but the curser turns to an up arrow and does not allow me to select anything.

Is there something different that needs to be done when using the BNL version for windows?

Thanks,

Alex Smith

[quote=“smith277”]Hi again,

I find that if I try running guitest.C I see problems with the TGPopupMenu’s. What I see is that the menu bar at the top, for example “File” will cascade open, but the curser turns to an up arrow and does not allow me to select anything.

Is there something different that needs to be done when using the BNL version for windows?

Thanks,

Alex Smith[/quote]Hi Alex,
I have to ask a pardon. I was away for a week and could not respond you quickly.

The BNL distribution is “QtRoot distribution” and it is for people who mainly want to use very Qt GUI rather ROOT GUI to build their applications. As soon as the “GUI Builder” is concern one can use Qt Designer root.bnl.gov/QtRoot/QtRoot.html#designer
doc.trolltech.com/3.3/designer-manual.html

Since QtRoot for Windows is NOT a part of the official ROOT distribution (QtRoot for X11 platform is included though) we can not guaranty ROOT GUI there is in synch with the vanilla ROOT from CERN. This means ROOT GUI there is provided “as is”. STAR@BNL has no need and has no man-power to use ROOT GUI. Of course as soon as CERN adopts the QtRoot for Windows officially we are to make sure all ROOT components there works properly. (The same way we did it for X11 flavor).

Personally, I have no idea why QtRoot for Windows is not treated the same way as QtRoot for X11. I wondering is the main reason is the lack of the end-user demand.

To use Qt Designer one is supposed to install Qt first (See for example qtwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/index.php )

It is our intention to include the Qt SDK into the QtRoot distribution for Qt4-based version (to be done by the end of the June, 2007). This may have eliminated the need to install Qt by the end-user alone. (including the advanced version of Qt designer doc.trolltech.com/4.3/designer-manual.html also)
The further information on the topic can be found
root.bnl.gov/QtRoot/QtRoot.html#publications

Do not hesitate asking me any question regarding QtRoot and Qt GUI to build the ROOT-based Qt application either directly or via the dedicated QtRoot mail list lists.bnl.gov/mailman/listinfo/qt-root-l