TGMainFrame window appears without the main frame?

Hi,
I’m running ROOT 4.04/02b on Fedora Core 3. I’m currently having a problem with a stand-alone ROOT program that uses a TGMainFrame. Sometimes the window appears correctly, main frame and all, and other times it appears with out the main frame. It’s missing the title bar so that you cannot reposition the window with the mouse. This seems to happen randomly - sometimes I’ll run the program with no problems many times in a row and then it will inexplicably run many times in a row without a title bar. Usually if I start multiple instances of the program from different terminal windows the problem will appear quicker.

Anyone run into a problem with their window missing the title bar before?  I've simplfied my program down as much as I can and attached it if it helps.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I've run out of ideas as to what could be causing it.

TIA,
Tim
SVProot.gz (2.45 KB)

Hi Tim,

The Makefile looks strange. Please provide a correct one.

Thank you, Ilka

Yikes, don’t know how I managed that. Sorry, here’s a new one.
Thanks!
Tim
SVPDialog.tar.gz (5.67 KB)

Hi Tim,

Thank you for providing the new file. Please do the following changes:

• remove the use of RQ_OBJECT macro because your class derives theTGMainFrame that has already derived the TQObject class and provides the signal/slots communication mechanism.
  • move the ClassDef in the end of your class declaration;
  • Move SetWindowName(“SVP Display”) before the call of MapSubwindows() method in your constructor.

I made tests starting multiple instances of your program from different terminal windows on my SLC3 linux environment and I see no problem. Please let me know if the problem persists on Fedora Core 3.

Thank you, Ilka

Thanks for the help! I’ve made the changes you suggested but unfortunately I’m still getting the same result. However, I’ve noticed that the test program RootShower exhibits the same behavior. Several iterations of running the program resulted in one instance without a title bar. Behind the curved corners of the frame appear a white rectangle, almost as if something is being drawn behind the frame. I’ve attached a screenshot to illustrate what I mean.

I’m not sure what’s causing it, but I don’t think it’s a problem specific to my program. Perhaps something in ROOT, X, or my graphics driver? I’d appreciate any other suggestions.
Thanks!
Tim
SVProot.tar.gz (391 KB)

Hi Tim,

The problem you faced on did not show up during the tests made on FedoraCore 4 and gcc 3.4.4. (what I was able to found here).

Cheers, Ilka