TFile error: Non-aligned pointer being freed

Hi rooters,

I am trying to write some graphs to a file and I am getting the error

malloc: *** error for object 0x31ab094: Non-aligned pointer being freed
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

The source of the error is in the following member function of a graphing class which takes a vector of shared pointers of TMultiGraphs and saves them to a root file:

void CGrapher::Save_plots(char TFilename[50]){ 
  TFile *file = new TFile(TFilename,"UPDATE");
  for(int i=0; i<n_gr; i++){
     my1_gr[i].get()->SetMarkerStyle(7);
     my2_gr[i].get()->SetMarkerStyle(7);
     their_gr[i].get()->SetMarkerStyle(7);
     my1_gr[i].get()->SetMarkerColor(kRed);
     my2_gr[i].get()->SetMarkerColor(kBlue);
     their_gr[i].get()->SetMarkerColor(kGreen);

multi_gr[i].get()->Add(my1_gr[i].get());
     multi_gr[i].get()->Add(my2_gr[i].get());
     multi_gr[i].get()->Add(their_gr[i].get());
     multi_gr[i].get()->Write();
  }
  file->Close();
  file->Delete();
}

ANy help would be much appreciated

cheers

Mark

Try: // "(TGraph*)" or "(TGraphErrors*)" or "(TGraphAsymmErrors*)" or ... multi_gr[i].get()->Add(((TGraph*)(my1_gr[i].get()->Clone()))); multi_gr[i].get()->Add(((TGraph*)(my2_gr[i].get()->Clone()))); multi_gr[i].get()->Add(((TGraph*)(their_gr[i].get()->Clone()));
Also, instead of “file->Close(); file->Delete();”, you can simply say “delete file;”.

Thanks Wile,

that worked cheers

Mark

Note that using “Clone()” means doubling the RAM usage.
There’s an “alternative” solution, I believe.
Do not use “Clone()” in your “CGrapher::Save_plots” method, but in another method, right before you delete “multi_gr[…]” (or in any other place when you are sure they will not be used any more) add:

for (int i = 0; i < n_gr; i++) if ((multi_gr[i].get()) && (multi_gr[i].get()->GetListOfGraphs())) multi_gr[i].get()->GetListOfGraphs()->Clear("nodelete");

Hi thanks for that,

I did realise that Clone() would double the ram usage but I was hoping that when the smart pointer was destroyed so would the allocated memory… apparently not.

So just to clarify why should I not use" Clone()" in the “CGrapher::Save_plots” method, or more specifically whats the difference between “Clone()” being in “CGrapher::Save_plots” and some other method

and would it be okay to place

[quote] for (int i = 0; i < n_gr; i++) if ((multi_gr[i].get()) && (multi_gr[i].get()->GetListOfGraphs())) multi_gr[i].get()->GetListOfGraphs()->Clear("nodelete");[/quote]
in the destructor?

cheers

Mark

Well, I don’t know where you delete your “multi_gr[…]”, possible in the destructor of your “CGrapher” class, so add these Clear(“nodelete”) calls there (just remember that they must come before you actually delete “multi_gr[…]”).