TChain/TClass Poor Multi-Threaded Scaling

Dear All,

I’ve been playing for the last ~1 week with defining a custom data source for ROOT::RDataFrame, and came across the following issue while developing that code.

What I observed is that certain operations are very inefficient when running in multiple threads. I was trying to push as much of the initialisation of my custom data source to the multi-threaded execution of RDataFrame, as possible. But to my big surprise I found that this made my tests a lot slower than just executing that same initialisation in a single thread before the rest of the code would run multi-threaded. (Which means that I have an unavoidable, ~8 second initialisation time to all of these jobs at the moment. :frowning:)

To demonstrate the issue in piece of code that only uses ROOT’s own classes, I wrote this example:

https://gitlab.cern.ch/akraszna/xAODDataSource/blob/master/xAODDataFrameTests/util/threadChainTest.cxx

Since the repo is not public, the relevant code from this file is:

int main( int argc, char* argv[] ) {

// Read the command line options.
   const xDFT::CommandLineOptions cmdl( argc, argv );

// Set up the runtime environment.
   ROOT::EnableThreadSafety();
   RETURN_CHECK( APP_NAME, xAOD::Init() );

// Execute the file scanning using N parallel threads, X times.
   const std::vector< std::vector< std::string > >
      args( 50, cmdl.inputFiles() );
   ROOT::TThreadExecutor pool( cmdl.nThreads() );
   pool.Foreach( scanFiles, args );

// Return gracefully.
   return 0;
}

void scanFiles( const std::vector< std::string >& fileNames ) {

// Set up a TChain for reading the files.
   TChain chain( "CollectionTree" );
   for( const std::string& fname : fileNames ) {
      chain.Add( fname.c_str() );
   }

// Load the first entry/file.
   chain.LoadTree( 0 );

// Scan the branches of the tree.
   TObjArray* branches = chain.GetListOfBranches();
   for( Int_t i = 0; i < branches->GetEntries(); ++i ) {
      TBranchElement* br = dynamic_cast< TBranchElement* >( branches->At( i ) );
      if( ! br ) {
         continue;
      }
      TClass::GetClass( br->GetClassName() );
   }

return;
}

Now, when I run this test with different number of threads, I see the following scaling behaviour:

I.e. After a certain number of threads the internal locks of ROOT start to hurt the execution pretty badly. :frowning:

Just to show one more thing, this is the profile I get from GPerfTools when running the executable with 8 threads:

threadChainTest_t8.pdf (17.7 KB)

I thought I’d write this up on the forum, instead of opening a Jira ticket with it. Since it’s not really a bug in the code. I just wanted to discuss a bit if it could be possible to improve on this situation…

Cheers,
Attila

ROOT Version: 6.14/04
Platform: x86_64-slc6-gcc62-opt
Compiler: GCC 6.2

Hi Attila, Danilo and I have identified TClass::GetBaseClassOffset() as a problem in a few different occasions. I was using TBufferMerger benchmarks to optimize ROOT I/O at the time and using VTune. This is something that already received some attention a couple of months ago (see, e.g. commit 9ded3b85), and even before. We plan to revisit this later to try to optimize things some more. We want to identify when TClass::GetBaseClassOffset() simply returns 0 (vast majority of cases), and not take a lock at all if possible. This may also be interesting for you to look at. Specifically the comment right after the one linked above. @Danilo may have more to add on the optimization. We were discussing this on the place on they way back from CHEP.

BTW, any chance you could share one of the files with us, so that we can use this for working on optimization in ROOT?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.