TBrowser non-ascii text scrambles on windows

It seems the new html-based TBrowser does not handle non-utf8 environments, and will show scrambled text in file selection, and selecting scrambled text as directory will not succeed. The old one, now TRootBrowser, however, is not supported in 64 bit windows.

It is impossible to run specific apps on specific code page in win8+ (no locale setting built-in), but there is a new setting that may allow apps to run in utf-8 no matter what (my account cannot post link yet):

It may solve the problem of code page issues on new TBrowser in newer versions of windows.

ROOT Version: 6.26/06
Platform: Windows
Compiler: msvc2019 64 bit

Tested to work on win10 Build 19041, with the following xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
  <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="ch.cern.root" version="6.0.0.0"/>
  <application>
    <windowsSettings>
      <activeCodePage xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2019/WindowsSettings">UTF-8</activeCodePage>
    </windowsSettings>
  </application>
</assembly>

And the following command:

mt -manifest C:\Users\shang\Documents\Source\root-utf8\utf8-execution-root.xml -outputresource:C:\root_v6.26.06\bin\root.exe;#1
1 Like

First, welcome to the ROOT Forum!

FYI, we now provide Win64 builds…

Otherwise, you’re right, and thanks for providing the solution! We will see how to integrate that in future builds.

Cheers, Bertrand.

I tried the old TRootBrowser in provided older 6.26/02 build and seemed broken on x64. That’s why I thought it had problems.

It seems 6.26/06 still have this problem. The window will not show anything on x64 (blank screen).

Weird, I’ll check

1 Like

I have no problem with the version 6.26/06 of TRootBrowser and RWebBrowser

A screenshot of my system with this problem:
Scrambled:

With manifest, not scrambled:

Blank screen in 64 bit, scrambled in root file open. (with or without manifest, 32 bit is not blank):

MBCS codepage of system is CP936 chinese. Using binary downloaded from cern site.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.