TBrowser features

Dear ROOT experts,
in the new TBrowser I see on the right side a panel with two tabs
(Canvas and Editor). I would like to get another tab that show the
content of TTree|TNtule like was in the old TBrowser. For me it is easy
to access the leaves stored in TTree|TNtule.

It is still possible to get a tab with that show the leaves stored in
TTree|TNtule? If it is possible, please, can you point me the way to get it?

Cheers,
Vito

Hi Vito,

With the new browser, you can see (browse) the content of a tree/ntuple directly in the tree view on the left (the same way you browse directories) and there is no specific view as there was in the old browser.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi,

So the same goes for viewing contents of a root file? I like the old implementation where the hole window is devoted to the root file and all keys are listed in columns maximizing the information we can see in the root file at a time. Is it stilll possible to do this with the new root file? I would look at the documetation here:

root.cern.ch/root/html/TBrowser

but notice that the old TBrowser is still what is shown. Is there an uptodate page describing this new browser? Or is there a way to call the old browser such as in 5.26?

Thanks,
Justin

Hi Justin,

The selection of the browser version can be done via the ‘Browser.Name’ entry in ‘system.rootrc’ configuration file:

# Type of Browser: TRootBrowser or TRootBrowserLite
Browser.Name:                TRootBrowserLite

TRootBrowserLite being the old browser. See also the New ROOT Browser paragraph in the ROOT 5.18/00 release notes
And you can also call the new browser from the menu of the old one.

Cheers, Bertrand.

Hi Bertrand,

Ok Thanks for the info. It was also quite clearly stated each and every time that I called TBrowser from old versions of root–I should have remembered that.

Ok I will try to read about the new TBrowser in the release notes you sent me. Please also forward me any other info if it exists.

Thanks,
Justin

Hi Bertrand,
thanks for your reply

[quote=“bellenot”]Hi Vito,

With the new browser, you can see (browse) the content of a tree/ntuple directly in the tree view on the left (the same way you browse directories) and there is no specific view as there was in the old browser.

Cheers, Bertrand.[/quote]

I preferred the old way to browse the content of trees/ntuples.
Maybe I’ll modify my .rootrc to select the old Browser (TRootBrowserLite) to look the content of trees/ntuples, and from there I can select the new one for other stuffs.

Cheers, Vito